What Break booster? - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

What Break booster?

What Break booster I need for a 4 disk one piston conversion from drums to disk and what size 9' or 8' clearance is not an issue? Single or dual? What proportioning valve? Thank you! I see so many options that make me confuse on what should I get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 PM

You go with a smaller diameter brake power booster only to clear tall valve covers with a big block in many smaller cars (the Corvette, Camaro and the Nova usually) that have marginal room in the first place for a big block. A big Chevy was one of the few models to get the full size big block (the Corvette that shared parts with and was split off from the full size Chevy originally to make it into a sportier model was the other) all others had to live with the 400 cubic inch limitation placed on them by the executive GM board.

To stuff a big block in a Corvette required a special valve cover with a dent on the drivers side valve cover to clear the eleven inch brake booster. All reproduction chromed stock looking valve covers for the BBC have this dent in them as being a Corvette part originally makes your car go faster (these chromed copies of the original valve covers are also all missing the oil drippers that were spot welded under the valve covers on factory original parts to oil the ball on the rocker arm).

Many think that a smaller chromed power assist booster must be better because they saw one on a Camaro with a big block that had tall valve covers. Idiots also install tall valve covers on their motors because race engines have used tall valve covers to clear the rocker arm stud girdles bolted to the top of their rocker arm studs that used to be in vogue with racers, before they all switched over to shaft mounted rocker arms with custom fabricated valve covers to clear the now wider instead of taller rocker arms. Copying a race engine (appearance, or the sound it makes with it's rough idle) is silly in my opinion for a car driven on the street. It can only hurt your street driven performance (called streetability) and possibly hurt you and others if you installed the wrong brake part just to look fashionable.

Bigger is better with brake boosters. That is to say you want the most available diaphragm surface area you can obtain. In passenger cars that is a eleven inch booster. In the aftermarket a DUAL nine inch brake booster with twin diaphragms instead of just one is better or bigger than the single eleven inch.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Thank you that answers a lot of my questions. Now if someone would be kind enough to tell me where would be a good place to buy the power break booster. Is this something I can just buy from my local auto parts store? Since my 1965 impala came with drums all around would they be able to help me? May be someone can post a link tell me what Break booster I need to get I will appreciate. Thanks again!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 06:29 PM

These people helped me. http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

OK guys I went and I buy the power break booster. Now I know I was supposed to ask this question before I buy but I didn't my bad. I got this break booster1967 68 69 CHEVY CHEVELLE CHROME CAMARO 9"DUAL BOOSTER MASTER CYLINDER I have the braket for my car. My question is can i use it or will not work?

Thanks in advance guys.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Power Brake Booster for disc conversion?

I got this break booster1967 68 69 CHEVY CHEVELLE CHROME CAMARO 9"DUAL BOOSTER MASTER CYLINDER can i use it for my 1965 impala upgrading to four disc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page