Using 4th Gen Camaro Front and Rear Disc Brakes - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Using 4th Gen Camaro Front and Rear Disc Brakes

Anyone ever came up with a way to use the 4th Gen Camaro 98-02 brakes on the 65-70 cars? For the front you'd have to cut the ears off the spindle and have the hubs turned down enough to fit through the 4th gen rotor. Here's how I did the mod on my 91 Camaro:
http://www.bigbrakeupgrade.com/LS1BracketInstall.pdf

BRP Hot Rods has a 10/12 bolt rear bracket kit listed under their Chevelle parts that allow for the use of the 4th Gen rear brakes. I called them today and they said it was for any 10/12 bolt C Clip rear end. I don't see why this wouldn't work on my 70 Impala

Last edited by cowansauto; 02-10-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowansauto View Post
Anyone ever came up with a way to use the 4th Gen Camaro 98-02 brakes on the 65-70 cars? For the front you'd have to cut the ears off the spindle and have the hubs turned down enough to fit through the 4th gen rotor. Here's how I did the mod on my 91 Camaro:
http://www.bigbrakeupgrade.com/LS1BracketInstall.pdf

BRP Hot Rods has a 10/12 bolt rear bracket kit listed under their Chevelle parts that allow for the use of the 4th Gen rear brakes. I called them today and they said it was for any 10/12 bolt C Clip rear end. I don't see why this wouldn't work on my 70?
You can buy a new forged front spindle to accept the 12 inch PBR dual piston brakes on the front as stated an adapter to bolt the single piston with mechanical pad emergency brake onto any Chevy rear end (they all use the same bolt pattern on the axle tube end plate).

The mod over on Team Nova is doing a frame off Chevelle Wagon rectification using these brakes. He has them installed now with pictures. You can probably find the same if not more info on Team Chevelle as it is more common there.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

I thought the axle tube flanges or end plates were different between a full size and say Chevelle, Camaro, Nova?

Are you talking about the drop spindles?

1970 Impala Convertible - 52k original miles

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowansauto View Post
I thought the axle tube flanges or end plates were different between a full size and say Chevelle, Camaro, Nova?

Are you talking about the drop spindles?
Not to my knowledge. Though I could be proved wrong; all GM vehicles share the same spacing on the four holes on the end of the axle tubes that the disc brake caliper or the drum brake backing plate bolts up to.

Most aftermarket spindles are unfortunately dropped but not all of them. You will have to check the various vendors to find out what spindle they use for what brake combination as the GM uni-puck full float disc brake caliper, PBR, Girling, Bembro all had different calipers and caliper mounts.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

After a little research it appears that most of the B Body cars had a larger axle flange that measures 3 3/8" center to center. Whereas the A/F/X cars have a smaller flange.

I'm thinking about making a bracket to use the 4th gen rear brakes like they did here with the smaller flanges:

http://www.brphotrods.com/installgui...ll%20guide.pdf

1970 Impala Convertible - 52k original miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page