Coil Spring Replacement - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Coil Spring Replacement

So, the 1966 4-door project continues;

This month, it's coil springs; the old springs are pretty tired, and we will be swapping in new ones (along with a bunch of bushings and some other stuff whil we are on the lift);

I am thinking of going with variable rate springs , but all the ones I am seeing are only varible rate rears; the fronts are all constants.

Am I OK with varible rears and constant rate fronts? that's the Moog "suggested pairing" (6304 front/CC 601 rear) , but I figured I would run it by you guys; Also, does anyone have a product recommendation beside the Moog springs?

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Eaton and Moog were the factory sourced parts for all GM suspension parts. Both are still in business and both still make new OEM parts for your car.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Also, does anyone know what spring isolator will work well in this application?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Eaton and Moog were the factory sourced parts for all GM suspension parts. Both are still in business and both still make new OEM parts for your car.

Big Dave
Thanks, Dave; I've got the Moog's wishlisted on Jeg's ; what are thoughts on the variable rate rear/constant front combo?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 10:51 PM

I can pretty much guarantee you ,you will not like the new front springs offered by any manufacture. They are to stiff. A arms maxed out against the bumper stops. No suspension travel. A friend of mine just went through this, after trying 3 different sets of springs. I suggested cutting one coil off as I did with my springs. After it settles some, It will ride and sit normal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
I can pretty much guarantee you ,you will not like the new front springs offered by any manufacture. They are to stiff. A arms maxed out against the bumper stops. No suspension travel. A friend of mine just went through this, after trying 3 different sets of springs. I suggested cutting one coil off as I did with my springs. After it settles some, It will ride and sit normal.
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that; I was hoping for a nice smooth ride on new springs, with the sag of the old springs taken out; It's my son's car (and his pride and joy, he bought it with his saved money and his own research, I'm just the "helper" and technical advisor) and I want to make sure it's done right; he wants to keep it fairly stock in terms of appearance and drivability; it's going to be a daily driver rather than a show car, so ride is important....

As for my previous post about isolators, I was thinking spring isolators simply for the elimination of squeaks...

I appreciate the replies, guys.....

Last edited by KidsFirstCar; 06-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM

Garage
I bought Eaton springs with 2" drop for my 67. It drove just like stock even with the 2" drop. They cost $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page