Front disc brakes for 1962 Impala - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Front disc brakes for 1962 Impala

Good afternoon everyone!
I am ready to change my car from drums to disc in the front. I have been looking at various kits (CPP,SSBC,Wilwood). I want a kit with single piston calipers and 11 inch rotors. Does anyone have any experience with any of the companys I mentioned? Any Suggestions? The car has 15 inch rally sports on it.
Thnx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 02:11 AM

I went with the ssbc w129-28 kit and couldn't be happier. I have a 64 but will work on a 63. You could throw in some 2"drop spindles too and keep your stock springs for a very modest stance. Since you run 15s you will be fine, but I don't think 11" rotors will work on 14" wheels. If back is staying drum you will need a proportioning valve on the master cylinder. You can buy a complete brake booster/master cylinder/proportioning valve all as one. You will also need a brake line kit with brass line and adapters to run new lines off of the proportioning valve to the front brakes and adapt the existing line to use for the back. I did the whole thing for around $1,000 but that was shopping around. Don't forget the brake line tools (cutter and flaring tool) and YouTube is your friend on how to make brake lines. Very rewarding project if done right!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Thnx for the info. I appreciate it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:12 AM

Also keep in mind that your stock fourteen inch diameter steel wheels (with the cool SS full wheel covers) will not clear an eleven inch single piston disc brake caliper. You will have to buy a set of reproduction 1969-'72 Camaro or Chevelle fourteen inch diameter steel wheels designed to clear the single caliper disc brakes first introduced in 1969.

Those wheels do not have the internal bead well in them that allows you to easily mount a tire so extra care must be used to prevent tearing the tire when they are being mounted. That is why GM went to all fifteen inch wheels in the early seventies abandoning the fourteen inch diameter steel wheel forever. As such making fourteen inch diameter tires harder to find in the size and style you want without going to Coker tire to find a modern radial reproduced tire that uses the older bias ply mold for appearance sake.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page