67 Impala locked up drum brakes - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala locked up drum brakes

Alright so this impala has been sitting for about 15 years and the brakes are rusted and wont turn, I've done the usual hitting it with a hammer and spraying a lot of rust penetrant spray. its all loose but a small spot at the very top of the brake that wont let go. I've never seen the inside of these brakes so would you have any idea what might be holding still?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 07:07 PM

That lip is where the shoes have worn away the drums so badly that they are sitting a in groove worn into the drum. Try backing off on the adjuster since you got the drums to turn in the hopes it might withdraw the shoes enough to let you pull the drums. Other wise it is Saw / Torch time.

Drums that badly worn are scrap metal anyway so you can buy new drums and shoes to replace those parts.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:18 AM

If the Adjuster won't turn, cut (or Drill out) the Holding Pins on the backside before you take any drastic measures. Also carefully put a Screwdriver between the Drum and the Backing Plate and very carefully pry. Pry all the way around a little at a time, but make sure not to put too much pressure on the Backing Plate, so you will not damage it.

I had the most stubborn Drum of my life earlier this year on a '60 Impala. The Shoes would just not release, but I finally got it off with no damage to any of the important parts.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 AM

You can find new wheel cylinders, brake hardware (clips and springs) and new drums as service parts; but not the emergency brake mechanism (the arm that is attached to the cable and the front shoe), or the spreader bar with it's square springs. You may have a hard time finding a new adjuster mechanism, but Chevy used the same Bendix or Raybestos brake parts for decades so a used one should be available.

If you use a torch be very careful as that backing plate is very hard to find. You will have to buy an entire rear end to get a replacement if you damage it.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page