66 impala tyre scrubbing out - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

66 impala tyre scrubbing out

Hi Guys

am have touble with my front tyres scrubbing out on the outside the wheel alignment is has been done a few time and car drives straight
can any one tell me what might be wrong the front end is ok cause its been check by a mechanic. tries size is 235x65x15. I have used 2 sets of tries in 5000 mile crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 PM

Tire srubing is controlled by tie rod length. Your track is off from your description and I will wager the tires feathered as they wore away.

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

should I change the tie rod and them see what happens what should I do to fix this problem as I need 2 new tries soon.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:55 AM

Verify the tie rod ends, the idler arm, and even examine the steering gear box for excessive play. If there is a lot of movement in the front end's steering you will never get the alignment correct. You will need a pry bar to test for play.

You will probably also need an old Motor's or a Chilton's Auto Repair manual. I recommend these books over the factory Service manual or better yet the factory Chassis Service manual as those books are written for professionals that are assumed to know how to test and remove and replace (R&R) parts. The factory books will just say test and R&R as needed which may not be helpful to you; where as the Chilton's will describe how to test the parts for play. Additionally the Chilton's and Motor books have more pictures or illustrations (which are better because an illustration high lights the important aspects and deletes the confusing clutter that a picture includes.

http://www.amazon.com/Motors-Auto-Repair-Manual-Edition/dp/B001VPA53K .

http://www.amazon.com/Chiltons-Auto-Repair-Manual-1966/dp/B001688DM2 .

The Factory Chassis Service manual has not only illustrations of the part but includes the factory part numbers and more importantly the torque values to tighten the fasteners to. The factory (published by Helms) manual also includes the factory alignment specifications.

http://www.lategreatchevy.com/1966+c...nual-1966.html

Big Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:17 PM

Garage
What kind of wheels do you have on the car?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

I have had the factory rally wheels on the car and now running a American racing wheel and its happened with both wheels I will check the tie rod end and steering box.

Does anybody on here have the setting for the wheel alignment cause I think when they do the alignment they do not have the setting on the alignment machine pc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page