'64 disc brake UNconversion. - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

'64 disc brake UNconversion.

I plan to UNconvert the front disc brake conversion on this '64 back to drum brakes.
Unfortunately, I can not find the original parts (hubs and backing plates).
It's possible they were discarded. Nevertheless, I don't seem to have them. Does anyone have any hubs or backing plates they might want to sell me ...or know of anyplace where I can locate some backing plates or used hubs?
The plan is to use the booster and proportioning valve that was installed with this SSBC conversion.
Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2016, 08:43 PM

Bob I would list what you have in the classifieds and offer a full brake swap drum for disc as I am sure someone is dying to get disc brakes on their car in time to enter the running at Watkins Glenn in June.

I tend to agree with you if you are driving on the street drum brakes are adequate for most driving.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 AM

Double check the proportioning valve and make sure it'll work for "drum-drum" brake set up. Most are "disc-drum".
I typed in 64 impala front brakes. You'll get all the conversion kits. But check the box on the left for "used" and everything shows up for 63-64.

Here's the plates.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-64-CHEVRO...VVoGmY&vxp=mtr

Drums, Ask questions!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/61-64-IMPALA...hSDRL8&vxp=mtr

Hubs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-68-CHEV...FUa-pn&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1959-1960-19...NWaxqq&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps.

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:14 PM

Bob,

I'll have everything you need available.

I'm also in Virginia too, lol.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave,
Yes, I will probably list the rotors and calipers in the classifieds once I UNconvert back to drum brakes that are (especially if power boosted) entirely adequate for the street. Unfortunately I probably won't have it done in time for someone who needs them on their Impala before the 12 hours at Sebring ...but maybe in time for the Glenn. Riiight.
I spent more that a few seasons racing an SCCA D prod. Yenko Stinger that had drum brakes with metallic linings and they were wholly adequate. Sure, they could get hot and lose a bit of bite, but I don't see that being much of a problem with this '64 Impala.
...and Chris, thanks for the info. I've already checked on those parts. Really all I need is the backing plates and hubs(to take new bearings and seals) since I'll be getting new everything else (shoes, springs, wheel cylinders, retainers, and hoses) and probably new un-turned drums. I think that the adjustable proportioning valve will probably work out fine since it is adjustable.
Maybe you or Big Dave can help me out with that. Seems to me that the original master cylinder supplied equal pressure to both the front and rear brakes, the front brakes being larger than the rear.
Thanks for your input.
Bob
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:41 PM

You are correct a proportioning valve is needed on a Disc Brake car because the disc brake requires about fifty percent more line pressure to work. The factory brake system didn't have a proportioning valve only a residual valve that maintained 15 psi in the wheel cylinder to keep moisture from being sucked in. After 1966 they had a brass block that looked like a proportioning valves even with drum brakes but that was part of the dual master cylinder safety switch that detected the front line pressure was different from the back.

You might consider Buick or Pontiac brakes from the early sixties. They had bigger diameter finned aluminum drums that used a wider shoe for NASCAR racing (actually NASCAR used a truck wheel and brake assembly, not the finned aluminum drum, but the marketing people at GM wanted to sell on Monday what they were allegedly racing on Sunday back then. Those parts are reproduced and you can redrill the drums for a Chevy bolt pattern.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info, Big Dave. I hope to be able to use the SSBC adjustable proportioning valve which adjusts the pressure to the rear brakes. If I can get the front to rear pressure equal, that ought to work ...I think. I really don't want to swap out a perfectly good master cylinder.
...and yes, I had considerer finding the larger finned aluminum brakes (because they look so cool), but regained my sanity and NEED to keep the way the general designed it. It is not a race or pro-stock, or performance gran touring car.

...and 62BillT, since I am in Suffolk and since you have the parts, give me a call.
757-285-4329 or let me know how we can get together on this.
Thanks,
Bob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtyebob View Post
Thanks for that info, Big Dave. I hope to be able to use the SSBC adjustable proportioning valve which adjusts the pressure to the rear brakes. If I can get the front to rear pressure equal, that ought to work ...I think. I really don't want to swap out a perfectly good master cylinder.
...and yes, I had considerer finding the larger finned aluminum brakes (because they look so cool), but regained my sanity and NEED to keep the way the general designed it. It is not a race or pro-stock, or performance gran touring car.

...and 62BillT, since I am in Suffolk and since you have the parts, give me a call.
757-285-4329 or let me know how we can get together on this.
Thanks,
Bob
If you do NOT use a proportioning valve, the pressure front to back HAS to be equal.

Also, to achieve the breaking the front brake shoes are 2 3/4" wide and the rear are only 2" which achieves the design breaking distribution (approx 58% front and 42% rear). The proportioning valve is a t best extraneous. GM did NOT use proportioning valves in their all drum brake systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page