68 Impala Rear Suspension Upgrades - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

68 Impala Rear Suspension Upgrades

I'm considering up grading the rear suspension on my 68.
A few years ago, I upgraded the OEM track bar with a UMI adjustable.
Now, I'd like to swap out the upper and lower control arms to something better. I've checked various mfg out there. Hotchkis, UMI, Global West,Sphon etc. Some say tubular over boxed is superior.Some like Global west have a floating bearing in one end versus rubber bushings in both ends.There's a huge diff in price with some.I don't know if that's a factor in anything?
The hotchkis site claims that the average length for an upper control arm for a 68 is 12 and 15/16ths. Mine is 10" bolt center to bolt center. Even their adjustable models will only go 11" and change to the shortest length.
Has any one up graded their rear suspension parts lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 09:47 AM

ADDCO and Hotchkiss are both made in the US from designs developed through testing and racing. I have used products from ADDCO and Hotchkiss and Global West in the past (this is important because Moog used to be a supplier for Global West and they have since stopped production in the US for a lot of the parts for older cars) and was very happy with their products.

If I ever get around to building up my 1977 Nova I intend to use Hotchkiss products on the front end.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Rear Suspension

Dave, through your experience, could you clear the waters on Polyurethane bushings versus rubber? As well as spherical bearings in place of Poly or Rubber bushings?
You mentioned Global West, and in another rear suspension thread a while back, you also discussed bearings on one end of control arms both upper and lower, that they transmit vibration to the frame?

Global West seems to make a great product. They use tubular rear lower arms, instead of the boxed style.

UMI which also appears to have decent products as well, uses Polyurethane bushings which are grease able.
I don't know. It's a tough choice...

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 08:11 AM

All things being equal I look to see who is sponsoring auto events (auto cross and road racing since not everything is about drag racing), compared to just putting money into ads. If their product is good enough to win on race day that is good enough for me.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page