single to dual master cylinder conversion problem - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

single to dual master cylinder conversion problem

I have a 62 impala with original power brakes that was converted from a single master cylinder system to a dual cylinder system. I installed a new power brake booster at the time of the conversion. I bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it and immediately upon installation hooked it up to the proportioning valve/ brake line system. I bleed the brakes several times at each wheel. The problem I am having is that after starting the car , the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and has to be pumped several times before it gets resistance. The brakes stop the car o.k. but I am very uncomfortable with the initial week pedal. Any input would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM

As you suspect you still have air in the system. When you pump the brakes you are in effect pressurizing the fluid which compresses the trapped air until it exerts enough pressure back upon the fluid to allow the brakes to sort of work. I recommend talking your car on the back of a wrecker if need be to your local brakle repair shop and have them flush the lines and power bleed the brakes for you. safe and relatively inexpensive (costs about the same amount as buying a Proform sportsman [a cute name for an armature tool] power brake bleeder).

http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product.../dp/B00CJ5DWKO
Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response. I was going to take the master cylinder off and start to bleed the entire system again. I am not sure if the proportioning valve has something to do with it. Do you know if flushing and power bleeding the system will get rid of air in the proportioning valve and or master cylinder?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Yes if flushes out the old used (contaminated with water absorbed out of the air) brake fluid and replaces it with a fresh batch without any air entrapped as the fluid flush carries the air out with the old fluid.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Thank You big dave. I will let you know how things work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page