Upper Control Arm Failure - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Upper Control Arm Failure

I have a 1967 Impala and had an unusual failure with my upper control arm. Apparently the front bolt that holds the upper control arm to the cross link either sheared or came loose and fell out. I haven't gotten a good enough look to determine which. But that end of the upper control arm is extending into the engine bay about 6" beyond where it would normally bolt in.

At first I figured I'd just have to replace the cross link because it has the sheared bolt in it. But the more I've looked at it, I'm certain the other end of the control arm has gotten bent out of shape and stressed beyond safe use. So I expect it's time to replace both upper control arms. I'm thankful that the failure happened in a parking lot at 5mph. The passenger front wheel now leans inward at about a 10 degree angle. The car is otherwise rollable to get it onto a flatbed.

I've looked at the tubular models, which seem like a good upgrade. I've done some of the front end work myself and replaced with poly bushings, but I've not worked with control arms before and these look like they've never seen any love in the past 49 years. I'll probably hire someone to do the work.

Is this silly? Is it doable in a day? I'm concerned about the coil springs obviously and don't want to get myself into anything I'd regret. Anyone done this who can recommend between an OEM style replacement or tubular?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	16050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018b.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	16058  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Factory original bolts are grade eight and long (to accommodate a lot of shims). Replacement bolts from some kits are sourced from China. It may say grade eight on the head of the bolt but they test out on US testing equipment at less than grade five most of the time. Fasteners are a quick source of suspension failures. For that reason I only use fasteners sourced from ARP, Moog or Rockwell all of which need to marked made in the US for that reason (some Moog parts come from Mexico, and Rockwell sources bolts stamped in Brazil, Mexico and other NAFTA countries but with the exception of Canada I insist on a US source). Yes I have to pay $6 to $8 for just one bolt but I think I am worth it.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Factory original bolts are grade eight and long (to accommodate a lot of shims). Replacement bolts from some kits are sourced from China. It may say grade eight on the head of the bolt but they test out on US testing equipment at less than grade five most of the time. Fast
Big Dave

Dave, he has broken the bolt that goes in the end of the control arm shaft, not the the bolt that is shimmed on the upper shaft to do alignments.

mrnine, I think you are wise to change the upper arm and shaft, just to be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	16066  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 AM

There should be no real stress on that bolt as the end of the shaft is machined and fits through the bushing. So, I can't see how losing a bolt, either through shearing (unlikely) or loosening, would cause that kind of failure. You need to get it apart first. The tubular arms are nice as they offer additional alignment options. But the OEM ones should be fine. I'm curious to see what you find here.

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
arms, control, impala 1967, suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page