62 front shocks - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

62 front shocks

Hey guys. Lots of things getting done on my 62. In the process of changing a few things on the front end.Can anybody recommend a good shock that won't break the bank? Maybe something that is a little more firm than stock shocks. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 08:46 PM

KYBs are a decent upgrade if you don't want to spend on Bilsteins.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input on the shocks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
KYBs are a decent upgrade if you don't want to spend on Bilsteins.
hey jay have you heard anything about QA1 shocks?And do you recommend the KYB adjustable?thanks for the help
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:37 PM

Adjustables are not the cheaper alternative; they are the better alternative, or at least for me who used to race on the weekends. If you are building a cruiser you can buy fixed valved shocks, or even rebuildable Bilsteins for less money.

The rebuildable Bilstein shock offer you fixed valve packs economy, but you can change the valve's bleed rate (or have Bilstein rebuild them for you) to reflect how you want the car to handle most of the time.

Or you can accept the standard 50/50 shock rate used on stock applications buying a higher quality nitrogen filled shock with better seals, chromed rods (to resist rusting that abrades the seals causing them to fail) or heavy duty shocks with larger diameter shocks that contain more gas and oil to reduce heat build up used on police cars.

I build my cars to accept a coil over shock on all four corners. I used QA-1 or Koni shocks for my cars (the Europeans seem better at building shocks because they seem to enjoy driving rather than pointing their car and texting).

Adjustable coil overs allow me to change the spring rate in minutes; and the shock valving a click at a time. I can also change my ride height up to an inch by just turning a big nut with a spanner.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 11-28-2016 at 12:36 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Adjustables are not the cheaper alternative; they are the better alternative, or at least for me who used to race on the weekends. If you are building a cruiser you can buy fixed valved shocks, or even rebuildable Bilsteins for less money.

The rebuildable Bilstein shock offer you fixed valve packs economy, but you can change them valve rate (or have Bilstein rebuild them for you) to reflect how you want the car to handle most of the time.

Or you can accept the standard 50/50 shock rate used on stock applications buying a higher quality nitrogen filled shock with better seals, chromed rods (to resist rusting that abrades the seals causing them to fail) or larger diameter shocks that contain more gas and oil to reduce heat build up.

I build my cars to accept a coil over shock at all four corners and use QA-I1 or Koni shocks (the Europeans seem better at building shocks because they seem to enjoy driving rather than pointing their car and texting).

Adjustable coil overs allow me to change the spring rate in minutes and the shock valving a click at a time. I can also change my ride height up to an inch by just turning a big nut with a spanner.

Big Dave
hey thanks dave just curious how much ya think coil overs would run for a 62 all the way around?im assuming i have to change a arms?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:21 PM

I have no idea as to the cost as I never owned a '62. It ran about $1,400 to $1,700 for al new suspension and rear sub frame on cars I have built over the years. I replaced the back half with either Chris Alston or S&W back half kits combined with a four link and Panhard bar, as well as tubular A-arms and coil over shocks up front. The stock pieces were not designed to support the weight of the car at the shock mounting points which is where it rests with a coil over conversion. The shock will push through the trunk in the back and break off the mounting tabs of the formed A-arms up front on the stock front end.

Big Dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Hey guys. Lots of things getting done on my 62. In the process of changing a few things on the front end.Can anybody recommend a good shock that won't break the bank? Maybe something that is a little more firm than stock shocks. Thanks guys
'Stock' is likely equivalent to the Monroe Sensa-trak (spelling?). The KYBs are likely a little firmer. There are surely others. On my '63, the springs were shot when I bought it. When I replaced the springs, I replaced the existing Sensa-traks with KYBs because I had no idea how long the existing shocks were in place and replacing them simultaneously with the springs was only a 'parts' cost. The car drove much better but I can't attribute that to the shocks.

May I ask what you are trying to achieve? Is there something 'wrong' with your steering/suspension? the way the car drives? You had an earlier question about a power steering box upgrade. Are you trying to 'fix' something, or 'upgrading'?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Im just trying to get something a little firmer and .so I think I am going to go with the KYB and some new springs. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page