Lower control arm bushing question - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Lower control arm bushing question

I am preparing to replace the upper and lower control arm bushings on my 66 impala 2dr hdtp. where I am confused is that the upper control arm bushings are easy to look up and find at my local parts store, but the lower control arm bushings are listed as lower front bushing ( one part number) and lower rear bushing seems to be a different part number and I cant find one. are the bushings in the lower control arm two different sizes ? the one toward the front of the vehicle being one part # and the one facing toward the rear of the car a different part # ? or are they both the same part number ? I am confused. if someone knows this answer can the please give me some part numbers for the bushings on the lower control arms. Thanks : Steve

No good deed, goes unpunished !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 09:23 AM

Have you looked under the car yet? When you do you will see the answer to your question.

The 1965-'70 B-body car used an upper A-arm and a trailing arm with a strut on the bottom of the front suspension. The 1949-'55 and the 1971-'90 cars all used two A-arms (upper and lower). I have no idea what the engineers were thinking when they came up with this design for your front end. All I can think of is it was a hold out from the 1958-'64 X-frame spongemobiles that had a limp noodle suspension to achieve a "jet smooth" ride that Dina Shore and Andy Williams used to sing about.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM

First off, lets start with are you talking about the front or rear control arms?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sz0k30 View Post
First off, lets start with are you talking about the front or rear control arms?
I am talking about front, but I have just checked in the Factory Assembly Manual and found my answer, apparently there is only one bushing on the lower control arm where it attaches to the cross member not two of them like on my 81 firebird. thanks

No good deed, goes unpunished !

Last edited by retlt0123; 02-09-2017 at 12:55 PM. Reason: found answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page