Lowered spring advice - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Question Lowered spring advice

I've decided to drop the front of my 66 Impala 1-1/2" by installing a set of aftermarket coil springs. Is there anything I should keep in mind while shopping for a set of springs? Any preferred sources based on your experiences?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:20 PM

Garage
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 657SS. While perusing Eaton's site I read a tech article about cutting coils. I understand that cutting coils will increase the spring rate but don't know if this would be a real problem with my application. Does anyone have any experience with cut coils, say 1-1/2" drop, in a 66 Impala SB?

Last edited by ageingrodder; 06-22-2017 at 04:01 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM

Garage
I have never cut the coils on the Impala. I did cut springs on my Cutlass, coil on each of the worn out sagging springs which resulted in about 1.5-2" drop and very bouncy ride. Ended up swapping them for proper lowering springs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 05:05 PM

Back when I rebuilt my front suspension I purchased new Moog coil springs for a 65 big block convertible. Had a heck of a time installing them. Once installed I found I had no suspension travel. It was sitting against the upper rubber stops. Unacceptable I pulled them back out. Cut 2 full coils off and reinstalled. Still a little high but settled at a nice ride height. Had the front set to specs and it rides and drives fine.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:35 PM
BA.

I bought Eaton Detroit Springs for my 66, told them is was a resto rod, 383, no a/c.....all the questions you'd expect that they would ask, they did. We talked about desired ride height and then they sent me springs that are so F'n tall that I have POSITIVE camber on my front wheels even with the control arm adjusters pushing the bottom of the tire out as much as possible. The car sits higher in the front now than it did when stock.

Tried working with them on the phone and via email and they refused to do anything at all.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:20 AM

I have a 1966 SS Conv. 396 car. It had all the Big Block heavy duty springs in it with Corvette Rally's. Had it that way for about 15 years. Had some issues with the front end so I decided to redo the suspension. I went through Classic Performance Products. Ordered their 1.5" dropped spindals and 1" lowered coils front and rear. I also did the 4 wheel disc conversion. Then went with 18" wheels.
I love the way it handles. The front is right where I want it. The only time my headers have bottomed out is going over speed bumps. The rear springs not so much. I ended up putting Air Lift bags in them to get the ride height I wanted. Overall I love the way it rides. I can pack the trunk full on weekend trips and not worry about clearance problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 08:02 PM

I hear ya... I went through the same deal..spoke with one of their,"experts?"
Gave them all of the necessary info on the car. Requested springs with a 1.5" drop..
The front end sat at least 2" taller than the stock springs.
In the end, I cut 1 and a half coils. There is still lots of travel space and the front end sits
where it should. If i would have went with a 2" drop, i would have pobably ended up with a stock ride height
at this rate. Anyway,although they are allegedly custom made, i suspect I was sold a stock ride height spring.
No luck dealing with them. I wouldn't recommend after this experience..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page