Drop spindles with drum brakes - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Question Drop spindles with drum brakes

Hi,

I´m a new member from Sweden, having a Bel air 62 4 door in very good original shape (imported from Colorado/Pueblo summer 2014). I trying to find a 2" drop spindle and will keep the drum brakes. But I haven´t found any yet, it seems to be fitted with only disc brake kits?! Can I please get some advise.

BR,

//Johan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	19601  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Welcome to the Team Johan!

You will probably have to either use disc brakes or cut the springs to lower your car as there are no aftermarket spindles cast with the needed lugs to mount the backing plate for drum brakes. Just keep in mind if you have the original springs on the car now that it left the factory with you are already sitting close to two inches below the factory ride height and lowering it further will affect shock travel and steering geometry.

You might have to consider air bags to go lower, with custom shocks.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 07:05 AM

I was looking at front end components at either classic industries or CPP and I remember glancing at some front lower A arms that had the spring pockets two inches deeper. This is an alternative, but if memory serves me right they were not cheap.

Can I ask what the opposition is to disc brakes? Front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder are at the top of my list on my 63 Impala. I found a set that lets me keep 14" rims. Now I just have to find a set of disc break 14" rims that will let me use my original wheel covers.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadwolf View Post
I ...

Can I ask what the opposition is to disc brakes? Front disc brakes and a dual master cylinder are at the top of my list on my 63 Impala. I found a set that lets me keep 14" rims. Now I just have to find a set of disc break 14" rims that will let me use my original wheel covers.
Both the 1969-'72 Chevelle and the 1969 Camaro had a fourteen inch steel wheel that accepted the single piston floating caliper 1969 disc brake design. If you had the four piston Corvette disc brake you had to use a fifteen inch wheel to clear the Girling style fixed bridge caliper.

Most aftermarket disc brakes also use a fixed bridge that requires at least a fifteen inch wheel.

1969 full float disc brake inside of fourteen inch wheel

Difference inside the disc brake fourteen inch wheel.

Notice the lack of a step to make tire mounting easier on the disc brake wheel.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Both the 1969-'72 Chevelle and the 1969 Camaro had a fourteen inch steel wheel that accepted the single piston floating caliper 1969 disc brake design. If you had the four piston Corvette disc brake you had to use a fifteen inch wheel to clear the Girling style fixed bridge caliper.

Most aftermarket disc brakes also use a fixed bridge that requires at least a fifteen inch wheel.

Big Dave

I found a disk brake conversion that allows for a 14" disc brake wheel. The next problem is the factory disc brake rims from the years mentioned above are not designed for the factory 1963 wheel covers, they are meant for rally trim. A little more searching though and I found that they have an aftermarket wheel designed for the exact application and they are only about $130 each.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page