Front/Rear Suspension Hardware? - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Front/Rear Suspension Hardware?

Hello all,
Is there a source for front/rear end suspension hardware for Chevy Impalas? Upper/lower control arms, strut rods, sway bar bushing brackets, etc.? I've cleaned/painted all of the aforementioned parts and I'm having all new bushings installed and it seems like a waste to reuse the old, beat-up hardware. Is there a one-stop source for all of this instead of getting nickle-and-dimed by buying it piecemeal?

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 PM

When it comes to Kits, I source Global West for medium priced (Moog quality) parts. Hotchkiss is the high priced spread and make a lot of their own front end billet parts that are stronger than the originals. They also contract with Bilstien for their custom valved shocks. They have either Moog or Eaton wind replacement coil springs and make their own larger diameter hollow front sway bar. They use polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension (but then so does the US government as they are used on every military vehicle in the DOD's inventory). Global West uses an aluminum bushing sleeved with Delerin plastic that has less give than polyurethane, but doesn't squeak (I like 'em).

If by hardware you are talking just nuts and bolts this company has all of the original Rockwell bolts that Chevy used to assemble your car back when it was new.

Restoration hardware - AMK Products Inc !

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Big Dave, you're the man! I noticed they don't show full-size Chevys as something they have parts for. Would '68 Chevelle front suspension hardware be the same as a '68 Impala? Thanks again.

1968 Impala SS
496 Stroker
T56 Conversion
3.73 Posi-Trac

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 AM

All fasteners are interchangeable. OEM for Chevrolet were made by Rockwell.

Do NOT buy fasteners from a hardware store, as they are inferior and cheap (it's called a discount hardware store for a reason). Most are made in China, and it is inferior in strength because you can not go to China and sue them should your front end fell off. They have no incentive to make a quality part and as such they cut every corner by counterfeiting a grade eight fastener that only tests out at grade eight three.

If I do not buy genuine made in USA Rockwell bolts from NAPA I buy ARP bolts mail order. ARP is much stronger part for part than anyone else as they use premium chromemoly steel and roll there threads (instead of cutting them) before heat treating them.

The WILSON-GARNER company is another US manufacture that makes Mil-Spec fasteners. If you want stainless steel fasteners (which are not as strong as a carbon steel fastener of the same size, so I recommend going larger if you can) Gibson Stainless & Specialty Inc. makes them here in the USA.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page