Grabbing on the Right - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Grabbing on the Right

I have a problem with my '63 Impala. When coming to a full stop the steering swings to the right. It does not do this when I apply the brakes at highway speeds. The front end alignment is fine and so is the tire pressure. What else might cause this problem? Perhaps an issue with the right front brake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:13 PM

Not likely. Most probable is worn out Idler Arm, or Tie Rod Ends, or both. Missing upper control arm bushings (rubber that has rotted away), and even worn out ball joints can cause this problem to be aggravated to the point were you loose control of the car.

Unless there is fluid pouring out of the left front brake wheel cylinder it is most likely worn out parts. You state that it was recently aligned which implies a trained tech looked at the car first to check for worn out parts. Problem is he probably has never seen a car like yours and has no idea what to check.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Hal

Thanks, Big Dave!

The last alignment was performed by a competent mechanic and the ball joints were replaced a few years back and have very low miles on them. Chances are the other items need attention now. I'll take her in to the shop and have those checked.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 08:03 AM

Does the steering wheel go right or just the car?
Stock brakes or swapped to disc brakes?

If it is just the car I would look at your left brake as it sounds like one of the pads may be hung up. If you still have stock brakes you need to go in and adjust them as they do not have a self adjuster in them. A little slot in the back of the backing plate leads to a splined wheel that needs to be turned. This has to be done on the front and rear brakes. They make conversion kits to allow them to self adjust, but from the factory they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page