Late model brakes on a 59 Impala - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Late model brakes on a 59 Impala

Good evening. Does anyone know if there is or who sells a kit or the brackets to utilize the rotors and calipers off of a late model car for installation on a classic? I acquired a salvaged 2013 corvette for the driver train and am wondering about the brakes as well. These 14"/13.4" drilled and slotted rotors along with the 6 piston/4 piston calipers would sure be a nice addition and a reasonable price!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Or maybe I can just use the Corvette spindle assembly for the front?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 07:29 AM

I know they make a hub that can be installed on the stock spindle to allow for the installation of modern discs and I think Classic industries has a 0 offset hub. As for the bracket for the caliper you may want to call one of the major manufacturers of aftermarket brakes and talk to them about what you want to do. Using systems off of other cars are a great way to save money, but the down side is the lack of instructions on how to do so. Unless someone here has actually done your conversion the help you will get is more general than application specific.

With all that said if you move forward it would be a great addition to the community if you well document it and put a post up on the complete process. It just might help the next guy that wants to do it and is a little better at using the search feature on the site than I am.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 AM

I have seen C5 cradles (front and rear sub frames) spliced into existing car frames under the cabin on many older cars but that is the only way it would fit. That way you get C5 suspension attached to an older car. Only down side to this the Corvette motor set back pushes the motor into the cabin and requires modifying the fire wall to get it to fit in order to keep the wheels centered in the front wheel well. There is also a bit of hacking to the floor under the rear seats to make room for the Corvette's rear transaxle; so these cars often have four bucket seats instead or two bench seats.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I guess I need to do some research on the differences in the spindles. I chatted with SSBC and Willwood, neither had anything to offer (purchase). I thought about the cradle idea and looked into the Art Morrison frame and using my parts but they (of course) are not a direct swap. So it looks like Spindle research is my only option.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:52 PM

There are many custom fabricators (chassis manufactures) that make a complete replacement frame for your car.

1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 Biscayne Impala Chassis System - Schwartz Performance

https://www.artmorrison.com/59-64chev.php

1958-64 Impala FAST TRACK chassis Roadster Shop

Custom Chassis

Chris Alston has a replacement spindle for your car with disc brake mounting cast in:

https://www.cachassisworks.com/c-177...full-size.aspx

Here is a great article documenting what was in GM's corporate mind durring the X-frame period (1957-'70).

Automotive History: An X-Ray Look At GM?s X-Frame (1957 ? 1970)

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

I also found this article on spindles: https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hm...s/3696401.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Dave - I have thought about a new chassis but getting what I want (rolling chassis, powder coated, air ride and assembled with 4-link and 4 wheel disc brakes) will cost at least $20k. then there are the body modifications for it to fit.... I looked at Schwartz and Art Morrison (used one on my 64 Nova) but I am not ready to drop that kind of cash and to commit to that kind of a build. I am looking towards a cruiser for me and my wife to relax in without breaking the bank (more than it will just to get the car running). So I was hoping to use the late model spindles on my car. maybe if I get new (tubular) A-arms, I could use the vette spindles? I guess I will call the vendors and see what taper they use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page