New springs - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

New springs

I have put two different set of springs on my 68 impala convertible and still can't get the ride height I want. Anyone have any sources or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:55 PM

Are you trying to Raise it or Lower it?

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM

Swapping over to a rear adjustable coil over is the best way to be able to fully self determine ride height.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:45 PM

Racers who chase their tail on dirt track and short asphalt ovals use an Acme screw jack on top of their coil springs to raise and lower the car. You would have to buy a spring with the correct spring rate (pounds per inch compression to obtain the performance level; or ride quality you want. Along with a free height so that when loaded it yields something close to the ride height you want and then use the screw jack to adjust it.

To install the spring screw jack you would have to fabricate a mount to hold the weight of the car above the spring, or cut a hole in the trunk to allow the top of the screw poke through to adjust it.

To use a a coil over you once again have to reinforce the upper mount to hold the weight and constrain all other forces as the standard shock mount is insufficient.

Big Dave
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:41 PM
BA.

I've had similar issues. Are your issues in the front or the back? The rear of my car sits great IMO, just need to get my front down about 3.5"-4".

I've also had 2 new sets of front springs and both were pretty damned high despite speaking with the vendor to get shorter ones. :-/

Need more info from you man, also what brand and part# did you get?

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

I am trying to get it lower now. The original springs were so shot the car was bottoming out. We didn't need. Spring compressor to take them out. So have tried two different sets of springs and.this last set has dropped it a little, but the entire wheel is visible in the wheel well
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Garage
Seems to me all the new springs are to tall and stiff, I have had the best luck with global west 1" lowering springs. Give them a call.

63 Impala SS Convertible
66 Impala SS
68 Camaro RS/SS
73 Camaro Z28
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM

All springs take about three months to settle.

That said the springs you are replacing have sagged down two inches from stock ride height by the time you bought the car. You can find the specs for stock ride height (and every other spec you need including capacities and torque values) in the Chassis Service manual. So what you consider as high is how the factory wanted them to suit assuming the spring you installed has the sames spring rate (pounds per inch of compression) and free height (the height of the spring with no weight upon it). The other factor is the end of the spring has to match your car (open, or pig tail; round, or ground flat)

Before the internet you could have called up Moog and they would have an engineer tell you which of their hundred or so springs that fit your car to choose to get the ride quality and ride height you want. Cell phones have eliminated that person's job as they expect you to look in their on line catalog and choose your own part number and order it yourself.

Big Dave
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM

If you want springs don't call Moog. Call Eaton Detroit Spring. They've been on OEM spring supplier forever.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:59 PM

I disagree, as Eaton Detroit Spring never sold OEM parts to GM. You are thinking of Eaton-Dana/Spicer-Federal Mogul Corp. (which includes TRW); which was an OEM vendor.

I have heard, as a Mod on four boards, a lot of complaints about Eaton Detroit Spring's Customer Service (if you order the wrong spring it is yours; they don't want it back: to wrong spring in box, or box was was mislabeled).

I personally bought a set of replacement springs that where wrong, but since I could not provide them with a four corner weight Eaton Detroit Spring said it was my fault and I ordered the wrong spring. I agree with them in this instance. They state they custom wind all of their springs having nothing in stock and once ordered there are no returns. I personally suspect they are just going through Moog's spring catalog and are ordering from Moog being nothing but a reseller.

Big Dave
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:41 PM
BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sz0k30 View Post
If you want springs don't call Moog. Call Eaton Detroit Spring. They've been on OEM spring supplier forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I disagree, as Eaton Detroit Spring never sold OEM parts to GM. You are thinking of Eaton-Dana/Spicer-Federal Mogul Corp. (which includes TRW); which was an OEM vendor.

I have heard, as a Mod on four boards, a lot of complaints about Eaton Detroit Spring's Customer Service (if you order the wrong spring it is yours; they don't want it back: to wrong spring in box, or box was was mislabeled).

I personally bought a set of replacement springs that where wrong, but since I could not provide them with a four corner weight Eaton Detroit Spring said it was my fault and I ordered the wrong spring. I agree with them in this instance. They state they custom wind all of their springs having nothing in stock and once ordered there are no returns. I personally suspect they are just going through Moog's spring catalog and are ordering from Moog being nothing but a reseller.

Big Dave
I'm 110% with Dave on this. Two different companies.
I dont' mind saying I'm one of those complainers on Eaton Detroit Spring as well. Totally not happy about it either..
When ordering, we spent like 15 minutes going over mods to the car that affect the front-end weight and it still sits high like a stocker. Way high.
I tried till I was blue in the face to get them to succumb to a replacement set but I got absolutely no-where with them.

The rear springs I got were perfect from them.

I ordered the Global West springs and they are maybe 1" shorter but still 3" too tall. Like everyone else, basically I'll be cutting springs I guess. (although I didn't try calling Eibach or H&R - two reputable spring companies.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page