Rear lower control arms - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
BA.

Rear lower control arms

I have a little bit of wheel-hop that I want to get rid of. Seems the rubber bushings in my LCA are a common cause.

Right now my rear lower control arms are boxed-by-me and have new rubber bushings, and I'm running a single, passenger-side Hotchkis upper control arm. (bought the 2nd one and it will be in when the mounting bracket arrives)

My question is - are there any good alternatives besides the kind of obvious Hotchkis and Global West?
I looked around at UPR, BMR, PST and Energy Suspension and didn't see anything.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM

NO!

While a lot of companies make suspension parts for Camaros & Chevelles, the choices for "B" bodies are limited. I'm redoing my 67 Impala. I also boxed the rear lower arms, but went with Global West for the adjustable rear upper arms & the front upper, lower & strut rods. Look like nice quality stuff.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 01:22 PM

The anti-wheel hop cast iron extensions that go atop a Chevelle rear end should work equally as with the full size car. They change the instant center moving it furhther forward for better weight transfer.

If they are too small (width wise or hole size) you could cut the shape out of quarter inch, or thinner mild steel plate, and weld it all together to make a set that would fit your car.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...ision-products

As you can see it just raises the top mounting point up with the reindeer horns on the bottom pushing against the 12 bolt case with the slots located to clear the reinforcing ribs on the 12 bolt case around the pinion.

Big Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
BA.

In my brief Google research I did read on the A-body/G-body coil spring cars as well but those are interesting Dave. I haven't ever seen those before.

I noticed on the Global West rear LCA that it had a spherical bearing and *to me* their description noted to NOT run the panhard bar so as not to cause binding. !! I was a bit shocked, left with more questions than answers.

"Note: ....... Global West does not recommend using a Panhard rod with this application because bind will occur if used."

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:44 PM

I can not see how you can locate your rear end on a 1965 without a Panhard bar (well you could use a Watts linkage but that would be expensive, and large on a car of this weight). With wide tires and no Panhard bar you would be putting a wheel tire combination through your rear fenders, destroying the quarter panel.

Generally when they talk of factory four link binding it is on a triangulated upper four link with polyurethane plastic bushings that don't flex. In this case the uppers are trying to rotate through two planes of motion. But because the plastic won't deform like rubber it binds. That is not the case on parallel control arms as they only rotate through one axis of motion (like a door hinge). This is why the aftermarket upper arms on plastic bushed replacements for factory four links need a spherical bearing on one end of the upper control arm.

I see no reason to suspect binding as a spherical bearing (Heim joint) can rotate through any angle. This is why they are used (with a Panhard bar) on four wheel drive rock crawlers that have yards of articulation with six foot long four link control arms. If anything where going to bind up and break it would be in this application.

Big Dave

Last edited by Big Dave; 05-08-2018 at 04:31 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:55 PM

I saw that disclaimer too & that's why I decided to box my lower arms, plus I wanted to use a factory style (F41) rear sway bar. Their rear lower arms are round with no sway bar provisions.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
BA.

I see that it confounds you as much as it confounded me. lol

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 AM

Too bad they don't make a truck arm conversion, but with the design of the X frame I don't think truck arms would work. They would hit the frame. Now on 65 and up Impalas with a perimeter frame, a truck arm system just could be the ticket for traction and elimination of binding.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 04:07 PM

Garage
I really like UMI suspension. I'm running their stage 4 kits on my Cutlass and my Chevelle, on my 67 Impala I have their rear control arms and adjustable pan hard bar. Superb quality, amazing customer service and Made in USA.

One company I stay away from is Global West.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
BA.

I like UMI as well because they offered an ADJUSTABLE upper-control arm mount. Boom!

They sell a bracket with *3* mounting holes for that rear upper control arm mount so that you can change that Instant Center that Big Dave was mentioning up above. Good stuff. I didn't see anyone else making that. (Global West has 2 mounting positions)

1965-1966 GM B-Body Upper Control Arm Mount [3664] - $59.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 07:55 PM

The reason why you don't need a lateral locating device using Global West components is because of the Del-a-lum bushing. Del-a-lum bushing do not allow lateral. They work like a bearing allowing straight up and down movement with out lateral deflection.
As for the rear suspension, when you have apposing control arms ( A and G bodies) you establish a triangle. The triangle is established by drawing lines through the control arm pickup points. If you extend the lines you will see a triangle form. In order for the rear end to move laterally the triangle would have to move meaning the pickup point on the frame (both) would have to move. That's not happening. Even through a spherical bearing is installed in the arm on one side, the Del-a-lum bushing controls lateral on the other. If you consider the dynamics of how the rear works and the design of the product, Global West does not need a lateral locating device. The rear suspension will not bind and stay centered during articulation. Check out our videos and you can see how it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page