64 Impala Stabilizer Bar End Link - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

1Likes
  • 1 Post By redrocket1953

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
64 Impala Stabilizer Bar End Link

I have a 64 Impala SS with a 327. I need the measurement of the metal sleeve or spacer that is on the end link of the front stabilizer bar. The one I got has a 3 1/2 inch sleeve but it seems too long and puts a bad angle on the rubber bushings cutting them. Could anyone look at theirs and get a measurement. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM

Is your car sitting at the factory ride height?

Almost every one I know has their car lowered at least two inches. If you did nothing to it since it left the factory it would be sitting an inch and a half, to two inches lower; just from spring sag and deteriorating rubber body bushings.

As you lower the car you reduce the "active suspension". That is the length of the compression and rebound designed into the car by the engineers. You may still have full articulation (from bump stop to end of the shock travel) but are missing a quarter of your actual control travel that makes for a smooth safe ride. Factory allowed for eight inches of travel on compression and rebound to keep your wheels on the ground and off of the bump stops.

Any time you change anything from stock; then it is on you to play engineer and think what are the consequences of changing a stock part to an aftermarket part. I am a degreed mechanical engineer, that has become self taught in automotive design due to my obsession with fast cars (there are only two universities in the US that offer a degree specifically in automotive engineering). If you want a lowered car you will need to increase the size of the sway bar and the end links as they have to apply more force over a shorter distance of travel. Springs need to stiffen the spring rate as they are not being compressed as much, and you will need adjustable ultra duty shocks to tune the suspension with less active suspension.

Factory used a thin wall steel pipe cut to length. You can buy the tubing at big box hardware stores (you want thin wall tubing not cast iron water pipe), or take a trip down to your corner Cheap Chinese Import auto parts store and browse through their selection of parts as they have quiet a few lengths to choose from.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...09653_825194_0

Big Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Is your car sitting at the factory ride height?

Almost every one I know has their car lowered at least two inches. If you did nothing to it since it left the factory it would be sitting an inch and a half, to two inches lower; just from spring sag and deteriorating rubber body bushings.

As you lower the car you reduce the "active suspension". That is the length of the compression and rebound designed into the car by the engineers. You may still have full articulation (from bump stop to end of the shock travel) but are missing a quarter of your actual control travel that makes for a smooth safe ride. Factory allowed for eight inches of travel on compression and rebound to keep your wheels on the ground and off of the bump stops.

Any time you change anything from stock; then it is on you to play engineer and think what are the consequences of changing a stock part to an aftermarket part. I am a degreed mechanical engineer, that has become self taught in automotive design due to my obsession with fast cars (there are only two universities in the US that offer a degree specifically in automotive engineering). If you want a lowered car you will need to increase the size of the sway bar and the end links as they have to apply more force over a shorter distance of travel. Springs need to stiffen the spring rate as they are not being compressed as much, and you will need adjustable ultra duty shocks to tune the suspension with less active suspension.

Factory used a thin wall steel pipe cut to length. You can buy the tubing at big box hardware stores (you want thin wall tubing not cast iron water pipe), or take a trip down to your corner Cheap Chinese Import auto parts store and browse through their selection of parts as they have quiet a few lengths to choose from.

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...09653_825194_0

Big Dave
Dave it's totally stock suspension. Its within a half inch of the factory ride height that I found in the GM service manuals. I'm changing the front coils with the stock springs that Moog recommended. 6000 is the part number. Not sure what springs were in the car but it was very stiff in the front. Maybe wagon springs but they had to come out. They were so stiff they were a bear to get out. The car rode good on smooth roads if you can find one around here but on a rough road I think it bounced down the road. I have some other end link sleeves and think I will experiment by cutting one shorter so it lines up better with the stabilizer bar. Thanks again for your thoughts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 09:54 PM
BA.

I checked mine but my sleeve is only about 2". I assume it's related to the aftermarket swaybar and maybe also because it's a 66 and not comparable to 64.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM

I had that issue with one of my cars recently and I called my "real" parts store and asked them for the measurement of an original AC Delco replacement and that verified the length of the Sleeve. It was also the one I decided to go with. The aftermarket "Hi-performance" brand was way off.

-Parting Out over 75 '58 to '73 Full Size Chevy Cars-

Member:

-National Impala Association
-Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62BillT View Post
I had that issue with one of my cars recently and I called my "real" parts store and asked them for the measurement of an original AC Delco replacement and that verified the length of the Sleeve. It was also the one I decided to go with. The aftermarket "Hi-performance" brand was way off.
Anymore it seems everybody tries to sell the one size fits all whether it's right or wrong.
62BillT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page