58 impala lower radiator hose problem - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

58 impala lower radiator hose problem

I put a car/engine specific lower hose on and the 1" sway bar restricts the hose when you put it over the top of the bar, because the bar is in line with the radiator lower outlet. I can't put it under the bar because it will restrict the movement of the steering linkage. Can't lower the bar due to bar being close to drag link and pitman arm. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 PM

Welcome to the team!

Hose and tail pipe segments spliced together to reroute the hose around obstructions.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRevivals View Post
I put a car/engine specific lower hose on and the 1" sway bar restricts the hose when you put it over the top of the bar, because the bar is in line with the radiator lower outlet. I can't put it under the bar because it will restrict the movement of the steering linkage. Can't lower the bar due to bar being close to drag link and pitman arm. Any suggestions?
The sway bar appears to be an after market add on (I don't recall GM using 1"). A flexible hose may work.

Pete

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM

Flexible hose will not work in this application because it isn't flexible enough , AND the spring inside the hose will fight trying to be bent at an extreme angle. That is why he will have to fabricate a lower Hose out of exhaust pipe and use segments of rubber hose to absorb vibration and allow engine movement (so it will take many more than a hose at each end of the pipe acting like a "No-Hub").

This approach is common in agriculture applications and many engine transplants.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page