Power steering issue. - Impala Tech
Brakes & Suspension Conversion Questions & more

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Power steering issue.

Team,
I had an issue when I drove my 64 Impala SS the other day. When I initially purchased the vehicle I drove it home for about 70 miles. When I got the vehicle home I could feel the power steering get extremely hard. When I opened the hood I noticed all the fluid had shot out of the power. Steering pump. All the fluid had leaked out and sprayed throughout the engine bay. I inspected the system for leaks and could not figure out where it would have released from. The only thimg that I noticed was the cap not being on snug. I dont know for sure if the cap was not placed on correctly. There is actually a little play once you twist it on. I went ahead and put power steeriing fluid back in it and now it works fine. Only after I read the cap did I notice that it tells you to use "automatic transmission fluid". I have not driven the vehicle that for that distance since. My questions are:

1. Why would the fluid bubble over and leak out?
2. Should I drain the power steering fluid and put tranny fluid in and if so which kind?
3. Has any one had this issue?
4. Should I be looking at replacing my pump even though it seems to be working fine?

Thank you all in advance!

Semper Fi,

Hector

1964 Impala SS HT
2007 Tahoe LTZ
2006 Kawasaki ZX10
2003 Yamaha R1 (sold)
1995 Impala SS
1993 Tahoe GT (sold)
1978 Buick Regal (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:48 AM

Hector what fluid did you use in the power steering pump? If it is clear power steering fluid (SAE 10W hydraulic pump oil) that will not hurt anything. If you used brake fluid or motor oil you will have problems. The only difference between ATF Dextron II (what the service manual calls for) and power steering fluid is the boiling point and the dye they add. Both will work, ATF works better.

You may have problems anyway. A power steering pump run dry usually burns up the seals inside the pump. There may have been enough oil in circulation to lubricate the pump in which case you got lucky. The power steering pump cap should seal tightly to keep contaminates out (water and dirt) and the fluid in. You need a new cap at the very least.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Big Dave,
I used actual powersteerimg fluid. I did not check the color. I will check it later next week when I fly in. Should I drain it and make sure that nothing but powersteering fluid is in there before I install the new cap?

Semper Fi,

Hector

1964 Impala SS HT
2007 Tahoe LTZ
2006 Kawasaki ZX10
2003 Yamaha R1 (sold)
1995 Impala SS
1993 Tahoe GT (sold)
1978 Buick Regal (sold)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 AM

I have noticed that some power sreering caps are vented and some are not. If the p/s pump is too full or air has gotten into the lines it will come out the small hole in the cap like old fathfull.

http://www.impalas.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=521&dateline=14693626  69
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 09:40 AM

I have noticed the same. The original cap (metal top) has a small vent hole in the center that can leak when overfilled. If you get a replacement, hang on to your original, I don't think there are any proper reproductions out there. You can get a new gasket put in the old cap by this guy. He is a power steering expert and did a great job rebuilding my original pump.

Authentic Automotive
http://chevyps.com/

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page