Problem fitting Rear driver side wheel - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Pantera
Problem fitting Rear driver side wheel

Hello, I just finished restoring my 1963 impala. I have an issue that could´t find an answer too.

I fitted all the rims and tires and when I try to place the last one (rear driver side) I could´t out the tire in, the weird thing is that I could fit the other rear tire without any problems.

Tire size 275-60-15.

The car no apparent crashes and drives very well. I have attached a pic with the rear tire fitted with no issues on the passenger side.

Could you shed some light in what issues might be doing this?

thanks

Pantera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	impala.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	4657  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

It is somewhat common for the body to be shifted slightly to one side. This can be from the factory, from a collision, or more commonly, from deteriorated body bushings. Measurements will confirm for you. If you find it is shifted, your choices will be to replace body mounts (and ensure body is centered), or to simply drop down on tire width.

Two doors, four doors, wagons, and ragtops.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I measured the chasis, wheel to wheel and diagonally, there was no difference. The difference was from the drum brakes to the wheel arch and other body parts.

I will check the body mounts and make sure the rest is ok. I will probably drop the tire size too because the other tire had very little space between the tire and the body.

thanks for your help Jay

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 PM

You may have to loosen the Panhard bar to get the tire and wheel installed. Then put the bar back on the car after the tire clears the wheel well.

Big Dave
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
You may have to loosen the Panhard bar to get the tire and wheel installed. Then put the bar back on the car after the tire clears the wheel well.

Big Dave
thanks Dave, Im going to work on the car tomorrow and will try removing the bar.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 02:25 PM

Where you jack up the car can all the difference too. I have 15x10's on the back of my '70. The only place I can jack it up in order to get the big wheel/tire out is on the frame just in front of the lower trailing arm. That allows the differential to drop enough to get it in and out. Jacking the car up by the axle housing will just push it deeper into the wheel well.

1965 Impala SS, 383, 4 spd
1970 Caprice LS-4 454, TH400
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 PM

Are you running this combo on all 4 or just the rear?I need tires and was wondering
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:32 PM

Practically speaking, no car can run 275/60R15 tires in the front.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 12:41 PM

The reason that I mentioned the Panhard bar is that the rear end hangs off of coil springs held horizontal by the control arms. The Panhard bar locates the rear end from side to side.

This said the rear end swings in an arc as it goes from at rest to compression or rebound swinging about the centerline of the control arms. Additionally the Panhard bar causes the rear end to move from side to side as the rear end moves up and down. This causes a tire that might fit when at rest, to hit the fender well as it is articulated.

To be safe (not worry about a tire rubbing) you have to allow an inch of room around your tire. Getting one that just squeezes in will inevitably rub because the rear end moves from side to side due to body roll, deflection going around corners and the Panhard bar moving the rear sideways as the rear end moves up and down.

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycee View Post
Are you running this combo on all 4 or just the rear?I need tires and was wondering
just the rear. In front i have 235-60 R15 that fit nicely and make the car look good. i´ll post some pics so you can see
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycee View Post
I am not sure if you were asking me or Pantera this. But, no, just the rear. I have 15x8's and 255/60's up front. The '69 -'70 Caprice/Impala had big fender bulges that needed filling and the 15x6 rallys with 235/70's weren't doing that job.

1965 Impala SS, 383, 4 spd
1970 Caprice LS-4 454, TH400
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Pantera, if you have less clearance on the drivers side rear between the tire & wheel arch compared to the passenger side, the cheapest & easiest solution to correct the problem is to buy an adjustable panhard bar from Summit Racing or similar supplier, there are several manufacturers of this item. This will allow you to re-center the position of the diff in relation to the chassis.

67 RHD Australian Delivered 4 Door Hardtop Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page