67 rallys - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

67 rallys

Can anyone venture an educated guess on what the wheel and tire size on the car. It's just what I'm looking for . Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 04:27 PM

I'd say 15x7 wheels on both front and back; though I favor a 15x8 for the back of the car so I can mount an inch to an inch and a half (non-metrically speaking) wider cross-sectioned tire.

The 427 engine size mixed with the small block V8 emblem is a matter of preference I assume since it should have the big block emblem of the Chevrolet and checkered flags on two staffs that form a V instead.

http://assets.hemmings.com/story_ima...00-0.jpg?rev=4

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh. I was planning to get 15X8 front and rear and assumed that's what was in the pic. hmm. I'd like to fill up both wheel wells pretty good. What about tire size on the pic? Any thoughts?

As far as the 427 flags. It doesn't apply to mine. Mine is a bone stock coupe with a 283 that my grandpa bought new. I drove it in high school and now 25 years later it's finally mine.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:27 AM

I'm guessing that since this owner was doing the stock look that those are 2.25-70X15

Mike

1965 Impala SS 396
1967 SS427
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 07:57 AM

2257015 is about the right size
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014, 11:23 PM

This car has 235/70/R15 on 8 inch rallys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hot August Nights 2010 087.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	8738  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 10:13 AM

It also has the ultra rare SS427 hood! Nice car!

Big Dave
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

It's just a regular hood from what I've seen of other pics on the site this came from. A nice car none the less!! Whoever owns it should just go ahead and change the motor badges though. It actually has a 502.

But back to those wheels and tires Seems we have a slight disagreement on the sizes.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Nevermind! I didn't see Larry's attached thumbnail! Thought you were talking about the pic I posted.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Back in the 60'S our cars were run in NASCAR. GM made sure you could fit big fat tires and wheels in those wheelwells.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Fat tires! Oh yeah!! I'm just trying to do what GM didn't do back in the day. In high school I dreamed of putting rallys and bigger tires on this car. And now that it actually belongs to me 25 years later, it's time.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 11:03 AM

You are aware that many companies also sell Rally wheels in 17 inch diameter and a variety of back spacing and widths to fit your Impala should you desire to spend a lot more on "cheap" steel wheels.

Big Dave
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I'm aware. I'm going to go with the 15" I'd like to fill up the rest of the space with rubber instead of steel.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 PM

The "cheap" steel wheels is a dig at those persons who held up their nose because they had spent more money than the additional money that GM charged you for Rally wheels on your car with full trim rings; to buy a one piece cast aluminum "Mag" wheel from some company that never submitted their wheel for safety testing the way GM had to get the wheels certified.

Some of those two piece, even more expensive than a one piece cast aluminum wheel, that where all hand polished and triple chromed frequently broke while cornering. This is because the soft cast aluminum center was riveted to the steel outer wheel and the combination flexed so much so frequently that the aluminum work hardened and shattered at the rivet. This left you with a chunk of aluminum to finish your turn instead of a wheel and tire that often resulted in a near head on crash.

The Rally was used in road racing by the Camaro in TransAm racing and the Corvette in road racing (but with out the center hat and trim ring). I never saw a wheel break at Sebring or at Daytona while endurance racing. I did attend a funeral of an associate (thankfully not a close friend) that broke a two piece wheel and had a fuel oil delivery truck drive through the drivers side door on a busy public road.

In the fine print at the bottom of the last page of the installation instruction sheet there was a very small print disclaimer that stated bolting on their quality wheel absolved them of all responsibility as the wheel was obviously going to be used in off road racing from which they couldn't be blamed if you were hit by a big truck. That coupled by the fact that the company that made the wheel had their home office in New Jersey stopped any hope of a law suit to recover the burial costs, or pay off his new Camaro car loan.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page