Another wheel and tire? - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DannyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Another wheel and tire?

Is there an 18 inch tire with a 1 inch whitewall out there anywhere? I went to the tire shop today and the guy there couldnt tell me if 18 inch wheels will fit my 62. Does anyone here have stock 18 inch rims (not custom made) on there 62. Can anyone tell me if they will fit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 AM

Garage
pretty sure this company can do it for you. Signature V Tyres & White/Gold Tyres All Season Tires | Vogue Tyre & Rubber Co. and yes 18" wheels will fit a 62

66 impala,283 power glide, Aztec bronze
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Garage
coker has some 17" white walls on their website also

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 11:54 AM

It would require a custom made tire. One inch wide white walls were out of fashion by the Disco era.

I wouldn't trust any New Old Stock (which would be for a 15 inch wheel any way) as even wrapped in paper sitting on a shelf, the tire carcass rots with time. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, tires are made of tree sap from the rubber plant and they will rot just like everything else out there.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Garage
there are plenty of brand new 1" white wall tires to be had in many different sizes just not in 18" diameter

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Garage
Coopers trend setter SE still has quite a few sizes with white walls

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Not real sure what you mean dave
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks impala 66
Impala 66 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
Not real sure what you mean dave
What I am referring to is tires, like any other style item in the market, are associated with a given fashion trend (such as everyone's current fascination with Lo-Riders). Red walls, gold or blue stripes, raised white lettered tires, and white walls from three inched wide down to a half inch tall have been fashionable at one time or another. I remember jacking up the front of the car only trends, I remember jacking up the back of the car with air shocks and extended spring shackles that rendered the car impractical to operate but fashion dictated it. Today I see complaints from people who ask why am I dragging my headers just because I have lowered my car four inches as if the engineers who designed these cars should have anticipated what todays car fashion is.

As far as tires go you can not easily even find a 13 inch tire except for a trailer tire which is annoying if you owned a Corvair or a Ford Falcon from the early sixties as that was your wheel size. Most Chevrolets used a 14 inch tire though today your choice of styles is limited from picking three to five tires from all know manufactures that sell on the internet. This is because the manufactures went to 15 inch tires in the mid seventies to provide room for disc brakes. By the mid nineties the factories had already moved through 16 inch wheels to seventeen inch wheels on cars and 18 to 20 inch wheels on light trucks is the norm with sidewalls limited to four inches or less.

Why would it be hard to find a one inch white wall? Because all of the major manufactures (Goodyear, Firestone, Continental, Michelin, BF Goodrich, etc.) don't make them any more. There are a few off brand tire companies that are trying to fill a niche market but your choices are still limited.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page