Rim and tire size handling question - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Rim and tire size handling question

I'm thinking of putting 15 x 10 inch rims on my 1966 Impala all the way around. I was talking with my father and he seems to think that a 15x10 in the front will make it a lot harder to steer than a 15 x 8 would.

Anyone have any opinions or experience with hard steering or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 12:44 PM

If you have power steering you won't even know it is there. Off course it will flex all of the parts as tire that size will scrub as it rotates (the wider the tire the more it scrubs as the tire pivots about the center line of the wheel).

Only problem I would for see unless, you have only manual steering, will be the wheel and tire limiting your ability to turn the car without the tire hitting a fender or the frame.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 AM

I don't think 10" wide wheels will work in front, way too wide and you better have the backspace right for them to work in the rear.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I think I will indeed go with 8" in the front. I attached a picture of the way I wanted to set it up.

The rims in the picture are http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-26-5034/ , assuming they are 10" wide. I'm confused though, what kind of tire is on the rim in the rear? It doesn't seem to be a drag slick as I can see a lot of tread, but the wall of the tire is so wide. The ones on the front seem to be just a standard sized tire. Using photoshop, if you place one rim over the other, the diameter is identical. I'm not real good with figuring out tire sizes, widths, etc.

Summit racing told me the ones I linked were the correct backspacing for a 1966 Impala. I wouldn't know if they are or aren't myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	episode-4-08-wishful-thinking-set-photos-supernatural-2520858-1024-768.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1915  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyspark View Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I will indeed go with 8" in the front. I attached a picture of the way I wanted to set it up.

The rims in the picture are http://www.summitracing.com/parts/USW-26-5034/ , assuming they are 10" wide. I'm confused though, what kind of tire is on the rim in the rear? It doesn't seem to be a drag slick as I can see a lot of tread, but the wall of the tire is so wide. The ones on the front seem to be just a standard sized tire. Using photoshop, if you place one rim over the other, the diameter is identical. I'm not real good with figuring out tire sizes, widths, etc.

Summit racing told me the ones I linked were the correct backspacing for a 1966 Impala. I wouldn't know if they are or aren't myself.

The rims in the picture are not 10" wide. You will have a hard enough time fitting a 10" wide rim under the back of the car, and won't be able to turn it with a 10" in the front.

I'm not sure why you're confused about the rear tires in the picture you posted, they're just a taller tire. Depending on the tire make and width, they are probably a 75 series tire and fairly wide.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyspark View Post
I'm thinking of putting 15 x 10 inch rims on my 1966 Impala all the way around. I was talking with my father and he seems to think that a 15x10 in the front will make it a lot harder to steer than a 15 x 8 would.

Anyone have any opinions or experience with hard steering or anything?
Can`t really comment on 10" rims on your car, if it`s a 2 door i`ve heard they have more room inside the wheel well but don`t know if that`s true or not, but have checked out my own 67 4 door Pillarless Impala and I don`t think I could fit 10" rear rims, I think the rims will fit okay but the wider tyres I would need to put on them would be the issue, although modifying the lip inside the fenders may solve that problem. I think 8.5 is a better option anyway, it lets you fit most of the tyres that will fit on 10" rims but also allows you to fit smaller width tyres that wont fit on 10" rims. I found a pretty good website that you can check what size tyres are suitable for what size rims, it`s in the middle of the page here.....http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp
Just as a side note, I read that supernatural car uses Cragar Series 330 chrome rims too.

67 RHD Australian Delivered 4 Door Hardtop Impala
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 05:01 PM

I am buying the same wheels. I found out that Unique wheels makes them. 15x7 4 3/4 are only $70 each from Discount tire. A little cheaper than Cragar. Is Unique a good brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page