1967 Impala wheel questions - Impala Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

1967 Impala wheel questions

What I'm trying to do with my 1967 Impala, is have my front tires as P215/70R15 and make my back tires slightly bigger to raise the back up so it doesn't drag so probably P285/60R15.

Along with that I also want to get new rims, keeping the same size rims for all tires. The site asks for my wheel size, bolt circle/pattern, and rear spacing.
I think my front wheel size is 15"x7" with the back going to be on a 15"x8" or something(what would it be with that tire size?) with the tire size above and I have no idea what my bolt pattern and rear spacing is for the front and rear. Can anyone tell me please?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Aaron,
Assuming you have not modified the suspension on your car the 15x7 on the front and 15x8 rims on the back will work just fine with 4.5" backspacing.

You will want the standard Chevrolet 5x4.75" bolt pattern.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 PM

Wheel size is supposed to match tread width. That is why we have some cars with wheels wider than the six inch width that was stock on your car (to fit a 7.75-14 tire). GM didn't switch over to 15 inch rims for all vehicles until 1969 (there were 15 inch wheels in use before 1969 but it was application specific such as use on a police car).

Your 215 metric width needs a seven inch wide wheel and the 285 needs a 10 inch wide wheel based upon the tread width matching the wheel width to keep the tread flat on the ground.

Your off set is based upon taking the wheel width and dividing it in half. If this is your back spacing it is said to be neutral. If you have more of your wheel to wards the interior of the car so that the center of the wheel is closer to the outside rim it is said to have a positive offset (think of a Porsche 911 wheel). If most of the wheel is showing with the center recessed back into the wheel (it has a deep dish) then it is said to be negative. Back spacing changes keep the wheel and tire the same size but moves the wheel tire combination in to wards the inside of the car pulling it away from the fender if negative or out to wards the fenders to clear a shock and leaf spring it said to be positive.

As to bolt circles all Chevys except light trucks and late model Impalas (late eighties to mid nineties) used five lug bolts centered on 4-3/4 inch diameter, after that they went to a five bolt lugs centered on a five inch circle.

Big Dave

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM

I am in the process of sizing up new wheels myself, and this thread is serendipitous.

With my disc conversion, I need to upgrade from the stock 14 inch wheels to some 15 inches at least, though I am considering going to 16 inch wheels.

Trouble is, my car as I bought it doesn't have the wheels--they were 'misplaced'--so I have no idea what the stock offset would be.

Fossil Fuel (or anyone who can answer)--The example the OP gave was an 8 inch wheel, and you commented that it would work. If it's an 8-inch wheel, with a 4.5 inch backspace, does that mean the wheel has 0.5 inch positive offset?

I'm looking at going with a set of Cragar Steel Wheels (around $60 bucks from Summit--cheap, I know) but I can't find a local supplier that seems to realize they are cheap (they all want $150 + for the exact same wheel), but with shipping charges I want to make sure I get the offset correct!

Regards
Craig
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM

What are you dOing with the original stock rims? I have been looking for a set for some time now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM

Craig if you are going to a 15 inch steel wheel be sure it will clear a disc brake caliper (not all 15 inch wheels do). Just about every 'mag' wheel or aftermarket aluminum dish wheel will clear a stock disc brake system.

Just like the automotive industry jumped from 14 inch wheels to 15 inch wheels in the early seventies they are all pretty much offering 17 inch wheels now as the new standard rim. Most tire manufactures are reducing their tire size selection for 15 inch rims and offering more tire sizes for 17 inch wheels (they dabbled with 16 inch wheels for about four years before shifting to 17's, even though cars like the Corvette offer 18 and 20 inch wheels there is a very limited and expensive tire selection for those size wheels).

Virtually all "stock" wheels will be neutral balanced or as close as they could get to it without hitting suspension parts (there needs to be an inch of room around the wheel and tire as your suspension moves in and out as well as up and down when it travels).

When you say you want to raise the back of the car with a bigger wheel/tire combination I think you will discover that virtually all tire sizes are about 28 inches tall regardless of size. The only way to defeat this is to use a truck tire that has a thicker side wall as most truck tires are 31 inches tall. You can mount a truck tire on a car wheel (assumes 15 inch rim) and aside from the taller side wall it looks just like a car tire. It will last forever though as most truck tires are made of cast iron using a very hard rubber compound. The side walls have 6 plies of cord instead of two (to hold up more weight) and will ride a little rougher than a passenger tire because of it.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigWhitton View Post
I am in the process of sizing up new wheels myself, and this thread is serendipitous.

With my disc conversion, I need to upgrade from the stock 14 inch wheels to some 15 inches at least, though I am considering going to 16 inch wheels.

Trouble is, my car as I bought it doesn't have the wheels--they were 'misplaced'--so I have no idea what the stock offset would be.

Fossil Fuel (or anyone who can answer)--The example the OP gave was an 8 inch wheel, and you commented that it would work. If it's an 8-inch wheel, with a 4.5 inch backspace, does that mean the wheel has 0.5 inch positive offset?

I'm looking at going with a set of Cragar Steel Wheels (around $60 bucks from Summit--cheap, I know) but I can't find a local supplier that seems to realize they are cheap (they all want $150 + for the exact same wheel), but with shipping charges I want to make sure I get the offset correct!

Regards
Craig
Typically rim width`s quoted by manufacturers do not include the 0.5" lip on each side of the rim, so an 8" rim is actually 9" wide. So, an 8" rim with a 4.5" backspace is actually neutral.
Regards,
Jeremy

67 RHD Australian Delivered 4 Door Hardtop Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page