Cold light - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Cold light

Hi everyone. I just registered and became a new member. I have a question and hope I am posting it in the proper section. I have a '64 Impala SS that I'm trying to restore to original. The previous owner had some after market gauges in it which I took out. The generator and oil light work fine. I couldn't get the green "cold light" to work so I took out the bucket seat and was able to get the bulb out which was blown. I put a new bulb in and the light worked fine. I was really happy to see it work. Well, this morning I went out to the car to start it, and the green light didn't come on. Very disappointing. I didn't check any further at that time. My question: is there a better way to get to this bulb other then crawling under the dash?? I see some screws which appear to hold the dash in. If these were removed, would it give me access to the bulb in question?? I'm not a small person and have large hands. I was barely able to get the bulb out the first time and dread trying that again. Thank you for any suggestions/ideas, Carmine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM

Welcome Carmine 64 SS here also. I doubt the light bulb went out so quickly. I remember those lites being a little tempermental.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Being 6'-6'' tall and now down to only 412 pounds (I know, I gained back forty ponds since getting out of the nursing home, but I am still down seventy pounds from my all time high which was a real low in my life prompting me to loose a bit) I know exactly how you feel. I pull the seats as you have done to gain room, but my arms are so long that with the elbow on the floor my forearm has my hand above the dash making it hard to remove. My solution, make your best friend a 5'- 4" 130 pound dynamo of a master mechanic (who also is a good driver for my race car). He makes short work of these problems.

By the way I have issues with cheap Sylvania automotive bulbs that sell at your corner auto parts store. They are all made over seas and though some have lasted for years without an issue I have had them blow the first time they are used.

If you have kids in the neighborhood you can bribe them to replace a bulb for five bucks a bulb (if they get them all in it will be worth the expense). But before you do consider using LED bulbs tinted blue or green or red instead of the cheap tungsten heaters. The ones tinted yellow mimic the tungsten bulb look.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM

You didn't mention if you had the center console gauge pack. If you do the cold, hot, and oil idiot lights are non functional.

I recently replaced the dash lamps in my '66 with SMDs. Once I disconnected and compressed the accordion center vent tube for the A/C out of the way it was easy to replace all the lamps. I did it laying on my back on the floor with the seat all the way back. I like Dave's idea about paying a kid to do it after giving him some on the job training.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaSS View Post
You didn't mention if you had the center console gauge pack. If you do the cold, hot, and oil idiot lights are non functional.

I recently replaced the dash lamps in my '66 with SMDs. Once I disconnected and compressed the accordion center vent tube for the A/C out of the way it was easy to replace all the lamps. I did it laying on my back on the floor with the seat all the way back. I like Dave's idea about paying a kid to do it after giving him some on the job training.

No, no center console gauge pack. Not sure it was offered in '64 or even what it is. All the idiot lights did work until a few days ago. Just looking for easier access to the bulbs. I have a small friend and maybe I'll ask him. Thanks for your reply, Carmine.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:26 AM

No gauge package available for the '64 Impala.

You should check to see if it is wiring/connection before you crawl under that dash again. Take a jumper wire and ground the wire going to the temp switch (make sure the car is running or switch is in the "run" position). ground each wire (there are two in 1964) separately. One should light up the "hot" light, the other will illuminate the "cold" light.

This way you will not waste time under your dash just to find out that your connector at the firewall needs cleaning (like usual)

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page