61 no brake lights - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Question 61 no brake lights

I think the post below answered my question but wanted to make sure. The turn signal switch recently broke in my column I thought no big deal until yesterday someone informed me I had no brake lights. I'm sure I had brake lights before. My question is, is the turn signal switch my issue with my brake lights?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancockimpala View Post
I think the post below answered my question but wanted to make sure. The turn signal switch recently broke in my column I thought no big deal until yesterday someone informed me I had no brake lights. I'm sure I had brake lights before. My question is, is the turn signal switch my issue with my brake lights?
Thanks in advance.
Yes it is. You need to get a 3765110 turn signal switch for your car, try and get an original or NOS one if you can.

Donny
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

I should have said my turn signal cam is what I believe broke. I can move the signal lever and it moves freely. But I'm pretty sure I've had no brake lights since the cam broke. Gonna pull the steering wheel this afternoon so I can get a better look.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:31 PM

Welcome to the Team Scott!

As Donny points out you have brake lights, but the turn signal temporarily disables the brake lights as you wouldn't see the turn signal if you had your foot on the brake pedal.

Big Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Turns out the brake light switch looks to have gotten stuck somehow (maybe hot inside?) and broke the cable. The cam is still pretty much in tact just worn out. There was, however, a little plastic bushing in there that's busted and I'm not sure where it belongs yet. Gonna replace the cam, cable, and switch. Then I think I'll be back in business. Thanks for the help and the welcome. I'll post a pic of my car as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

61 4 door hardtop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	5953  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancockimpala View Post
Turns out the brake light switch looks to have gotten stuck somehow (maybe hot inside?) and broke the cable. The cam is still pretty much in tact just worn out. There was, however, a little plastic bushing in there that's busted and I'm not sure where it belongs yet. Gonna replace the cam, cable, and switch. Then I think I'll be back in business. Thanks for the help and the welcome. I'll post a pic of my car as well.
The above mentioned stuff were all found inside the steering column? Right ?

We are not talking about the brake lines, emergency brake cable, or e-brake switch are we?

Just trying to sort this out in my head as the Impala had a much more complicated turn signal system than found in Camaros or Novas, or the Impala and Caprice of the eighties which shared the same system.

Big Dave
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Everything was inside column other than the switch. It mounted on the outside of the column under the dash with two screws. The wiring harness plugged in to it. The cable ran up through the column to the "cam".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page