Delphi twin lock connector - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 130
 
Garage
Delphi twin lock connector

Looking for Delphi twin lock terminal connectors 6288953 and 2973915. These were used in the bulk head connector at the firewall on pre 68 GM vehicles. I've bought these years ago from Performance Connector Systems, but looks like they are not available any more. I would like to build a harness for a set of factory gauges on a 66 Impala. My question is, does anybody have some stashed away or have a different supplier for them. I have not had much luck Googling them.

Last edited by 6366; 04-20-2014 at 09:49 PM.
6366 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 130
 
Garage
Delphi twin lock connectors

This is what I have learned through searching the web. There is a company www.mouser.com that sells them. At the moment they are out of stock. The part# 2973915, which is also called a Packard twin lock connector come in a reel of 2500 at a price tag right around $1000.00. They have some on order with a ship date of 9/8/2014. They will sell smaller amounts at a higher price. Companies like American Auto Wire buys them in the reel to build harnesses but will not sell them to the general public. So at the moment if you need to repair or add to your bulkhead wiring harness your out of luck. The only other option is to find an used harness and strip the wires out of that or buy a new harness at a premium price. So if your adding a HEI or factory gauges like and ammeter and you want to do a nice job your at the mercy of the after market community at the moment. I would rather build my own harnesses so that I can add the components and route the wires the way I want.
6366 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,362
 
Have you considered Weatherpack connectors?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Caspers+Electr...FS1eOgodKGIAIA

Big Dave
Big Dave is online now  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 130
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Have you considered Weatherpack connectors?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Caspers+Electr...FS1eOgodKGIAIA

Big Dave
Thanks but these are different. I have a large selection at work to choose from, this kit included. The ones used on the pre 68 Impalas and GM cars are unique. This connector is neither male or female. Same connector is used on both sides of the firewall, they lock together.

Last edited by 6366; 04-20-2014 at 05:51 PM.
6366 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 09:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Swedesboro, NJ
Posts: 48
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6366 View Post
This is what I have learned through searching the web. There is a company www.mouser.com that sells them. At the moment they are out of stock. The part# 2973915, which is also called a Packard twin lock connector come in a reel of 2500 at a price tag right around $1000.00. They have some on order with a ship date of 9/8/2014. They will sell smaller amounts at a higher price. Companies like American Auto Wire buys them in the reel to build harnesses but will not sell them to the general public. So at the moment if you need to repair or add to your bulkhead wiring harness your out of luck. The only other option is to find an used harness and strip the wires out of that or buy a new harness at a premium price. So if your adding a HEI or factory gauges like and ammeter and you want to do a nice job your at the mercy of the after market community at the moment. I would rather build my own harnesses so that I can add the components and route the wires the way I want.
If you are making a harness for a factory gauge car, why noy just buy the harnesses? You're going to have trouble find some of the other connectors and terminals as well was we own many of them and will not sell them either. Just curious.

Donny (AAW Tech)
pcsparts is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 130
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsparts View Post
If you are making a harness for a factory gauge car, why noy just buy the harnesses? You're going to have trouble find some of the other connectors and terminals as well was we own many of them and will not sell them either. Just curious.

Donny (AAW Tech)
I really like to build my own stuff and do my own work. I like researching, finding, learning and building, not just buying things off the shelf. I take great pride in doing as much of the work a can. Like I said in the last sentence I can hook up the components I want. When I did my factory gauges in my 66 I hooked up my temp gauges so that both my dummy light and my console temp gauge both work. At the same time I ran an HEI wire, AC wire, electric choke wire, I wired in Halo headlights with a relay to take head light power from the battery. All this through the bulk head connector. If something ever goes wrong I'm going to have a good idea how to fix it or what not to do next time. Don't get me wrong, I love the after market community and what they have done for the classic car enthusiast. I have bought some of your products, and there outstanding. This project here I am helping a friend do his car, just trying to save him some money and have a little fun doing it. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by 6366; 04-21-2014 at 11:09 PM.
6366 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 129
 
Has anyone found a source for these? I need to update the coil wire from the bulkhead.
lovebohn is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 129
 
Just an update I found out Mouser has some and also a guy on ebay. None of them are the 12 gauge ones I wanted.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...vF9sRB0zLek%3d

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GM-...-/282592386322
lovebohn is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,362
 
At this point since the parts are not economically available I would consider used. The pins can be easily popped out of the plastic housing with a paper clip and the wire desoldered; then the ears carefully bent back apart. You could then reuse it.

Big Dave
Big Dave is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome