1964 Horn Issue - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

1964 Horn Issue

I have a 1964 Impala and the horn is constantly honking when I connect the battery. Here is the history....

Horn worked fine. I replaced the turn signal switch a while back (was having turn signal and brake light issues). After I replaced it the horn wouldn't honk at all. I drove it around as is for a bit and then it was stored for the winter.

I recently disconnected the battery while I was detailing and painting the motor. While I was working on the car (with the battery disconnected) the horn blew on it's own (and scared the crap out of me!). I was leaning on the A/C area when the horn blew, not sure if that was a coincidence or if that could help diagnose the problem? I got everything finished up and connected the battery terminal and now the horn blows continuously.

Wondering if the turn signal switch is having a grounding issue or could this be the turn signal relay? I picked up a new relay but haven't installed it yet. Just wondering if anyone has any insight before I get started today. Thanks guys!

----------------

1964 Impala 2 Door Hardtop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:34 AM

The steering column is often the source of electrical gremlins. But I don't understand how you horn could sound if your battery was disconnected. Did you disconnect the cable from the battery post?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1964 Impala 4 door sedan

My Bloggy Thing: http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=2285
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Yes I had the negative cable disconnected from the terminal, which is why I was dumbfounded when it blew. I'll check the steering column and probably change the relay just for good measure.

----------------

1964 Impala 2 Door Hardtop

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 05:10 PM

Some thing was activated electrically by your leaning on the A/C solenoid.
What ever the reason for the momentary bridging the circuit you should always remove the positive cable as you can have a thousand grounds but only one hot source in the car, the battery terminal.

With the horn blowing continuously the brass plunger and steel spring that connects with the brass ring in the base of the steering column is what makes the horn blow is now making an electrical connection. Not unusual on a first time steering column rebuild.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page