big dave, help! - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to csf64ss Send a message via Yahoo to csf64ss
big dave, help!

today i just installed my new american wire engine harness for my 64 ss, 283 p/g...i have a msd 6al box, as well as the msd distributor. in the past i have had a problem starting with the key....(even w/a new dash switch)..but i could jump it w/screwdriver at the starter, (with the key in the "on" position)....i installed the harness, took my time,....i did not change anything from the original install of the msd/dist......the power for the msd comes off the starter main post, the ground is at the body near the frame mount...all of the 3 ground straps are hooked up...2 at the valve covers..and one at the body to frame near the starter.....the new harness has the 2 wires for the coil....which are not used w/msd....i put the plastic isolater on that side of the coil and hooked up the wires so their "dead" as i didnt want to just "cut" them....(new harness).......the power for the msd comes from the wiper motor.....when i first installed all of the msd parts years ago i had no problem....i have the thick purple wire at the starter closet to the engine hooked up.....and i also have the smaller wire hooked up to the post outside of the engine....(which is the same wire isolated at the coil w/the braided resister wire) for regular points ignition.........the only thing i have not changed is the actual key tumbler!...but i have one ready to go?.......dave wtf am i doin wrong?.......the starter is new....everything is new.....i pulled it into nuetral...an tried...i slammed it back in park....nothing !.....i get the dash lights when i turn the key to "start".........and i went an tried to jump it w/screwdriver and it cranks !.....the car sat for a while when i moved to fla. from pa......the only thing i havent changed was the actual tumbler?......could it be that?......please advise as im pullin out hair that i cannot sacrifice !......charlie......lake county florida......

MR.CHARLIE
CSF64SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 PM

It isn't the tumbler which you would only change if it were worn out or you lost your key in a public place.

First thing is the MSD needs all of it's clean power from the battery which is accomplished by the heavy (10 Gage) red and black wire. The only part that gets wired into the ignition switch are the light (16 gage) red and white wires that power the MSD box up (red to ignition switch, white to the distributor. The other two wires are the orange (+) and black (-) light wires that go to the coil.

You should not be using the purple and green wires with a points distributor, that is for an HEI distributor only and you have to remove the module first to get the ignition box to work with the green and purple wires (the magnetic reed switch is sending the signal to the ignition box to be amplified there: because if you used full voltage off the points coming in on the green and purple wire you would fry the box).

MSD ignition boxes are extremely easy to damage. Reversing the polarity instantly fries the circuit board, Too little voltage as encountered by using the resistor wire found on a points ignition as a feed will also burn up the box. Over voltage situations where some one accidentally 24 volts your battery while trying to crank a car with a lot of compression or hot will also fry the circuits. You can by pass the MSD ignition box entirely and see if it cranks up on your points alone by disconnecting the MSD wiring to the distributor and coil and hooking the wire from the distributor back up to the coil. (actually it goes from the ignition switch to the positive side of the coil from the negative terminal to the distributor to ground through the distributor). You can leave the solid wire from the ignition switch to the points for a bit (weeks) without seriously burning up the points by using full voltage.

If it runs on points that means you need to send your MSD box back in for repair, or buy a new MSD Digital Six box to replace the old analog one (because you get a lot of features that cost a lot of added money if you bought modules to do the same thing with a 6AL). I don't know what they charge to fix one, but the new one may be as cheap when you figure shipping, and your time to wait for it to be returned.

Big Dave
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csf64ss View Post
today i just installed my new american wire engine harness for my 64 ss, 283 p/g...i have a msd 6al box, as well as the msd distributor. in the past i have had a problem starting with the key....(even w/a new dash switch)..but i could jump it w/screwdriver at the starter, (with the key in the "on" position)....i installed the harness, took my time,....i did not change anything from the original install of the msd/dist......the power for the msd comes off the starter main post, the ground is at the body near the frame mount...all of the 3 ground straps are hooked up...2 at the valve covers..and one at the body to frame near the starter.....the new harness has the 2 wires for the coil....which are not used w/msd....i put the plastic isolater on that side of the coil and hooked up the wires so their "dead" as i didnt want to just "cut" them....(new harness).......the power for the msd comes from the wiper motor.....when i first installed all of the msd parts years ago i had no problem....i have the thick purple wire at the starter closet to the engine hooked up.....and i also have the smaller wire hooked up to the post outside of the engine....(which is the same wire isolated at the coil w/the braided resister wire) for regular points ignition.........the only thing i have not changed is the actual key tumbler!...but i have one ready to go?.......dave wtf am i doin wrong?.......the starter is new....everything is new.....i pulled it into nuetral...an tried...i slammed it back in park....nothing !.....i get the dash lights when i turn the key to "start".........and i went an tried to jump it w/screwdriver and it cranks !.....the car sat for a while when i moved to fla. from pa......the only thing i havent changed was the actual tumbler?......could it be that?......please advise as im pullin out hair that i cannot sacrifice !......charlie......lake county florida......
I can't tell what you mean by all this. Is the car even cranking at all? I suppose not since you're saying you can start it with a screwdriver. If that is the case, the case, it is not cranking at all, your issue has nothing to do with the MSD and your connections, it has to do with the Neutral Safety switch not passing power to the bulkhead and down to the starter. Jump out the 2 purple wires at the NSS and see if the car will crank, If so, The NSS is bad.

Donny

PS.... I work at AAW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page