65 Impala SS Updated Harness - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Post 65 Impala SS Updated Harness

I bought the "Updated wiring kit" my question is, can I install this with an external voltage regulator existing setup (Delco Alternator)?
and what should I expect to pay for an automotive electrical shop to do the complete install?

Thanks, Nacho65SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:36 AM

You can ditch the external voltage regulator by upgrading to an alternator with an internal voltage regulator and just jumpering the old external voltage regulator with a wire with two crimp on terminals. There are instructions all over the net explaining the external voltage regulator by pass technique. The voltage regulator being external or internal will have no affect on the wiring, it just keeps tabs on the battery's charge level.

By "Upgrade" I am assuming one of two things you either bought a harness that looses the idiot lights and allows you to search for factory gauges to fill your dash, or you are thinking of adding convenience group with power windows and power radio antenna and all of the lighting that was associated with that additional wiring harness that was not included with the standard wiring.

In either case it is a mater of removing the old wiring harness back to and including the fuse box, and replacing it with the new harness. That is just labor and doesn't require any electrical skill (no splicing, soldering or trouble shooting involved). As to what an automotive shop would charge you I have no idea as it isn't going to be found in a current flat rate hourly labor book.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I think I will upgrade to an internal voltage regulated alternator.
The higher amperage one will serve me for brighter driving night time lights
and allow for all the accessories of todays times, USB everything, plus a decent
sound system.
Thank you Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:09 PM

This is very easy to do. The newest most powerful alternators found on police Suburban and Tahoe vehicles will bolt onto the brackets to replace your old SI-10 alternator.

A new alternator can accept the older V-Belt pulley by pressing or prying off the serpentine pulley, and pressing on a new V-belt pulley by just tightening the bolt. You will then have 120 Amps at idle with 170 Amps at 2,400 RPM which should keep any sound system happy. Just remember to upgrade the wiring that was designed to handle only 35 Amps. You don't want an electrical fire.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page