1970 Impala Starter issues - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

1970 Impala Starter issues

Ok guys just picked up a one owner Impala and I am trying to tighten up a few things on it to enjoy driving it.
I am having issues with the starting of the vehicle, when I first acquired the car the starter would engage and start the car and immediately afterwards I would hear a "low grunting" sound from the starting after it would start I didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to today I had the original 2 barrel carb rebuilt and I go to install on the car and try to start it and the starter would just "click", so I tried tapping with a hammer to see if that would work and nothing, so I pulled the starter and had it tested ..bad starter.

So I replace the starter and and go to start the vehicle and WTF it is doing the exact same thing as the old starter?? It has a brand new ignition switch, and it has a strong battery that I know is up to the challenge of powering this car so I a not worried about that.

Any idea where to start on this car to figure out why the solenoid doesn't have enough juice to engage the starter? I have a few ideas and wanted to run them pass oyu all and get some feedback.....

1. The 12v constant wire could possibly be corroded?
2. There is a breakdown in the wiring from the neutral safety switch to the starter (but like I said the NSS is brand new)?

Like I said previous to me having the carb rebuilt the car would turn over BUT with a "low grunting" sound after the car would start which I think was an indication the the starter was about to go anyways....

Any and all help would be welcomed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 AM

Get a test light and check for power to the "s" terminal to the starter(the little one) when you turn the key to start. If there is i would bet you have a bad starter out of the box. The chinese starter manufacturers have left me scratching my head more than once.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

That's just it I bench tested the starter before I even put it in the car and it worked fine........

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 01:00 PM

You can by pass the solenoid and use a screw driver you don't mind burning holes in to jump the S terminal with the main battery cable:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse580f8f4.jpg

If your battery is as good as you claim with the ignition in the on position the motor will crank right up. If it spins but get no fire it is time to examine your ignition switch and the wiring. To test this theory hot wire the car with a wire from the battery positive terminal to the ignition coil's "+" terminal. Repeat the screw driver test and if it now cranks up you know the problem is in your wiring (this includes the Neutral Safety Switch) or in the ignition switch.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ...turns out the 2 gauge wire coming from the battery to the starter had corroded internally so bad that the voltage kept dropping, changed that and bingo it started!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page