Gas Guage - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Gas Guage

Was having my car painted and all my gauges worked fine. I get it back today and every time i turn the the ignition on the gas gauge goes to empty. I can turn the car off and the gauge goes to where is suppose to be. Its backwards and i cant figure out why....Anybody???????....have a brand new tank and sending unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Took sender plug off the tank turned it to on and it went to full
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 AM

My guess is somebody painted your car. Paint is plastic, which is an electrical insulator. Without a good ground your gas gauge will not work. You will have scrape that shinny new paint off of the underside of the trunk under the wire were it goes to ground.

Big Dave

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

It worked before and wasn't painted under the car
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Well I cleaned off the ground and reattached it and it still does the same thing. Goes to empty when I turn the car on and needle goes up to half or more when off. The only thing I can think is that the float is got pin holes in it. Any help out there...thanks
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 AM

You will probably have to drop the tank. I would invest in a twenty five foot spool of 14 gage wire and put an alligator clamp on each end. That way you can attach the wire at one end to the battery ground and use the other end to find a bad ground. This way you can test to see if your gas gauge works before you open the tank up, just attach the ground to the lead going to the tank. Disconnect the lead the gas gauge should read full, attach the ground wire to the battery it should read empty.

You can check the rheostat on the gas sending unit with your OHM setting on your multimeter. It should read 30 or 90 OHMs depending upon what year car you have. Floats don't normally leak but with Gas-O-hol who knows.

Big Dave
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I took off the sending unit wire and it went to full. Where do I hook this wire too?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 07:13 PM

If you touch the wire that leads down from the trunk to the gas tank to ground the gauge should go to empty indicating that the gas gauge is working normally. So either your tank has a bad grounding wire; which is the most common complaint, or your sending unit is toast.

Big Dave
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

I took a long wire from the gauge to the sending unit the brown wire and when I turned thee car on the needle stayed at 1/2 a tank it didn't drop to empty. On the back of the gauge there is a black wire. Is that a ignition wire or a ground wire? Still trying to figure this out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Never mind I put the ignition wire on the gauge and my new wire to the gauge and sending unit and it goes to e right when I turn the car on and when it is off it floats to 1/2 a tank. Would this be because the float has holes and is sunk to the bottom? What makes the gauge rise when it is off though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page