Horn Wont Stop Blowing - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Horn Wont Stop Blowing

On my 64 I was having a problem with the blinkers intermittently not working. I unplugged the turn signal switch connector to check the contacts and the horn started blowing and now will not stop. I had to unplug the horn(only one was working but that's another issue).

It is a tilt steering column type switch on the column and under the dash. I did not disconnect the battery before I unplugged the connector.

Anybody have any ideas what caused this or what I can do to try and fix it?

Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:32 PM

Does it still blow when you plugged the connector back together?

The Horn circuit is a grounding switch (similar to the dome light circuit). So if it is a problem in the column wiring then it is grounding out on something. Unplugging it while the battery is connected should not make a difference to the horn circuit since it is not powered.
But you should check to see where the problem is. It seems odd to me that it would ground out by just unplugging the column connector. I would check right at the horn relay first to make sure its not a stuck relay.
Unplug the wire from the horn relay to the bulkhead at the relay then reattach the horn wire to make sure it is not a bad relay.
once the relay is confirmed good then I would next check the connector at the firewall.
The connector on the '64 at the firewall is very often corroded. maybe you bumped it while under the dash. Remove it from the engine side, Inspect, clean the terminals, and reattach.
Lastly I would check for a grounded wire under the dash.
I am assuming you are saying the horn blows with the column connector still unplugged. This would eliminate the possiblity of problems in the column/sterring wheel itself.

64 Impala SS 327/300 survivor
67 Impala SS 327 triple black hardtop
67 Impala Bench Seat 4 speed
http://craigaacars.shutterfly.com/pictures
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:22 PM

There is a brass plug wired through a coil spring that rests inside the steering column. It pushes against a brass ring under the steering wheel that is electrically wired to the horn trim ring. By pressing the horn trim ring it grounds out the horn causing it to blow.

When you took the steering wheel apart my guess is the brass plug jumped up forced by the spring and got trapped contacting some other ground inside the steering column.

Big Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, the horn still blows when I plugged the connector back in.

That's what I figured that there must be something grounding out somewhere. I had just blown my horn a few times about 20 minutes earlier before this happened and it functioned perfectly.

I also found it very odd that it would happen just by unplugging that connector.

I have not checked the connections at the horn relay to try and see if maybe the relay isn't stuck. Your assumption is correct it continues to blow with the column connector unplugged...... or plugged.

I will try your suggestions Fossil__Fuel, thanks.

Big Dave, maybe I didn't make myself clear. I didnt take the steering wheel apart. With the tilt steering column the turn signal switch is under the dash not inside the steering column, and is actuated by a lever that runs down the column to the switch. I unplugged the terminal under the dash at the switch when the horn started blowing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page