66 Impala power window issue - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

66 Impala power window issue

I've been working on a 66 impala with factory power windows. I am having trouble with where the power feed comes from any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM

As with everything that is fused it originates in the fuse block. Power for the fuse box is from the battery by way of the voltage regulator or horn relay depending upon the year of your car.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

From what I could gather in the assembly manual, which isn't very clear, is that it gets its power from the horn relay. It is saying that it completely bypasses the fuse box and goes to a circuit breaker then feeds the power to the windows. I just really wasn't sure on that.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 PM

Has to be fused in some way so if it has a separate circuit breaker that makes sense.

Big Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 AM

Correct, no actual fuse but a circuit breaker mounted on the firewall, likely in the master cylinder area. Little breaker, two threaded studs on it, one wire will head inside the car and one from the horn relay as mentioned I believe. Test for power on both sides of the breaker, key doesn't need to be on because your power windows are live on your 66 as you know, the key can be off.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate it. The car didn't have the circuit breaker or the wiring for the power feed. It is ordered and on its way. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 PM

Circuit breaker

Mounted inside the car, under the upper lefts hand dash: Looks like this:

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...s/4849850.html

As far as where it mounts, here is a link to a 65 assmbly manual if you don't have a 66. You can look at the power feed for the conv top, front power seats or power windows, thy all hook up to this circuit breaker:

http://toms427impala.com/CT/65assemblymanual.pdf

Paul

I would check with Donny from American Auto Wire for the breaker and any wiring needs you have.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 PM

You are right about it being inside, I don't even know why I said firewall...

I put a set of power windows into my 66 Canadian full size Pontiac (same setup as Impala) and even mounted the circuit breaker up under the left corner of the dash! I did this about a year ago and had already forgotten where it was. DUH......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass5150 View Post
I've been working on a 66 impala with factory power windows. I am having trouble with where the power feed comes from any help would be great. Thanks
No fuse, no connection to the fuse block in any way. There is a circuit breaker mounted high on the LH bulkhead area behind the driver's kick panel. A feed comes into the car just ahead of that area from the firewall and attaches to the high tension stud on the breaker. The firewall connection is a molded connector/grommet assembly. There is a feed wire from the horn relay that runs up the LH inner fender skirt and plugs onto the male blade inside the molded connector/grommet.

The Driver's P/W harness has a wire with a ring terminal that comes over from it and attaches to the low tension stud on the breaker.

Donny (aawtech)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page