H4 headlamp conversion (63 impala) - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

H4 headlamp conversion (63 impala)

Has anyone here used headlight conversion housings to run h4 headlight bulbs like the ones in the link? (Ones in the link obviously wouldn't work cause they're for a 6v car system) my 63 impalas original sealed beam headlights are flat out just dangerous. I can't see **** at night with them. http://m.ebay.com/itm/110411615889?nav=SEARCH
They seem to just plug right into the original harness or is there something I'm missing? Probably I am, sounds to good to be true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Modern projector headlights require an inverter and transformer because the bulbs run off of an A/C 70 volt system. So just because the bulbs have two prongs they do not necessarily work on a 12 volt DC system. These cars are often the target of head light thefts as they cost $2,600 to replace them and your insurance company will only do it once: telling you to park your car some place besides where thieves can find it.

Any halogen or other resistance bulb relies upon high amperage (30 amps per set of bulbs which is why there is usually only two elements lit at a time), and a steady 13.6 volt power supply which a stock SI-10 alternator (what came stock in your car) can not provide. You need to change out your alternator to a newer "one wire" CS alternator (it bolts on after you change the serpentine belt pulley over to a V-belt pulley). That way you get the full rated 105 AMPS of power of the alternator at just above idle unlike the SI which only provided full rated power above 3,600 RPM (which was infrequent at best).

The SI alternator was nothing more than an on board battery charger. All power had to come from the battery and if you added a lot of accessories the alternator frequently could not keep up, so voltage dropped and your lights dimmed. Keep in mind at full power the alternator out put enough power to run the lights and the ignition, but not the lights, ignition, and windshield wipers (or the lights, ignition, windshield wipers, and the defroster blower motor). So in a way Ralph was right, many Chevys were unsafe at any speed.

Big Dave
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Dave I already have a single wire alternator in my car, I think it should be fine. Idk still debating.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2015, 01:33 PM

I'm having 4 Hella H4 headlights with 55/60 Watts bulbs in them I made a relais system that is switched by the original headlight switch while the power for the lamps comes straight from the battery.
Without relais you'll fry the light switch..
I'm very happy with the light provided now
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 07:39 AM

Garage
A question. With a H4 conversion, when You put on your headlight, the 4 are in fonction in the same time?

'66 Impala
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
A question. With a H4 conversion, when You put on your headlight, the 4 are in fonction in the same time?
It depends upon the lamps chosen and the way they are wired. The original bulbs were low range single element that focuses the light down. The other bulb has two elements in it with one element point down and the second element has higher amperage (higher resistance) that points straight ahead.

With a projector bulb you generally have a single lamp and a focusing lens that either spreads the light out and low or in a tight beam pointing straight ahead. So you will need all four lamps. The amperage load goes up as the number of lamps increases. So if you want four lamps lit you will need to run two sets of relays triggered by the stock wiring and provide an alternator with sufficient power to meet or exceed the increased electrical load.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Garage
I bought a new complete wiring kit From American Autowire for my 66. My actual is Home made and bad conception.

I already have a 100 amp max internal regulator alternator.

I've seen 4 bulbs xénon kit on Ebay for 180$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-STOCK-...16e5c1&vxp=mtr

'66 Impala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page