Voltage regulator ??? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Voltage regulator ???

I pulled my voltage regulator to do some cleaning.This is what the back looked like.Does this look like it was close to dying?Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	11002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 AM

I have seen a lot worse.
You can replace the mechanical points with a modern transistorized module that will fit under the original cover with a little work. I was looking at a write up on modifying a transistorized voltage regulator in Hemmings Muscle Machines car mag a few issues back. You can read it on line if you search Hemmings' web site.

Hemmings Muscle Machines mag is a great source for restoration info if you are into that sort of thing as their editors research each article rather than just pushing the trend in hot rod parts the way the other rags do. Of course if you subscribe to the old Petersen mags you know they have recently retired two of their car titles combing four of them as two titles since no one reads a paper mag any more (every one wanting free info off the web on their cell phone).

Of course a better solution (though it will definitely cost you points at a juried car show would be to replace the old original externally regulated 10SI alternator with a much newer CS (aka one wire) alternator. Once you pop off the serpentine pulley and slip on your V-belt pulley it will bolt up in place of your old alternator. Besides loosing unreliable mechanical points regulating your cars voltage, you get rock steady voltage at 105 Amps at idle with the newer CS alternator. The old SI only hit it's 36 or 63 Amp rated power level between 3200 and 4600 RPM. Outputting only a fraction of that power at idle incase you ever wondered why your head lights practically stopped working (dimming to a yellow glow) at a stop late at night.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

I did read that article in Muscle Machines,& I did replace it with the newer regulator.I think I'll do the alternator while I'm at it.Thanks Dave

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:02 PM

You can't have an external regulator and an internal one. You will have to by pass the external one (there are hundreds of on line instructions and videos of how to do this on the web).

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page