65 impala taillights turnsignal dont work - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Smile 65 impala taillights turnsignal dont work

I have put in new taillightsockets and they all work fine...almost. When the socket is out of the lense , lamp thing it lights up and the turn signal is working, but when i put the socket back in, the turn signal wont work/blink

If you cant understand what the hell im talking about, let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 08:02 AM

That is unusual as the car body is the return path (ground) to complete the electric circuit. Are you using a ground wire to test them when out of the car?
If so that tells you that the sockets that the lamps plug into has a bad ground. This could be due to corrosion or a broken (open) electrical path due to failed spot welds.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

I only use the two wires witch is connected in back of the sockets

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Unless there are two filaments inside the bulb (such as the 1157) there should be one wire for each filament and you touch a negative wire to the brass shell to ground the bulb and complete the circuit. I suspect the socket in contact with the brass shell is not grounded properly. Generally just the act of taking a tail light assembly apart and cleaning it reestablishes the ground path.

If it were my car (and I couldn't care less about chalk mark restorations) I would run a ten gage wire from the battery negative terminal into the trunk. There I would create a distribution bus and tie both tail light assemblies, the tag light and the gas tank's sending unit to that bus with separate grounding wires. You will be amazed at how bright the light become when you do that.

On the same tract I would run a ten gage wire from the positive post of the alternator to a BOSCH 50 Amp relay and energize that relay by tying the head light power wire to the relay and run a dedicated wire from the relay to each head lamp in the circuit (a relay for the two high beams and a second relay to power the two low beams). The head lamp has a separate grounding lug that should be run directly to the negative terminal of the battery. That will really brighten your head lights.

I would also verify that the three brass flat cables used as grounding straps are in place and touching unpainted metal on the block or transmission bell housing as that is how the car is grounded.

Big Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:29 PM

I know they are not cheap, but I had problems with my brake and tail lights for years. I replaced them with LED's and cut the socket plug in 's off and wired them direct. I haven't touched them in over 3 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page