67 SS Electrical issues Lights - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

67 SS Electrical issues Lights

Having issues with the lighting, changed signal switch in column. Put a test light in the U shaped connectors with flashers on, but I am thinking my problem is under the dash, using a test light almost every wire flashes and when I touch the black, the horn beeps. No brake lights, right signal on dash does not seem to blink. Bulbs are good, tested the dash and bulbs are all good. Now I am blowing fuse when the headlights are turned on. I have the column all apart. I am very tempted to order a new signal switch and do it again,new battery cables on the way, going to try to hit some grounds under the hood, it is turning out to be a nightmare. Started with putting new flashers, cleaned the fuse box. I am not very good at electrical schematics. I have a feeling this is going to cost me a bundle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.I can upload a picture of the wiring if it helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 AM

AAW (American Automotive Wire) sells your wiring harness for under $300. First thing I would do is to look under the hood to see if the motor is properly grounded. There are three flat braided copper cables that ground the motor to the frame and the body. The body is the return or ground path and if it is not connected to the battery nothing will work reliably.

Here is one of the three cables sold by a sponsor:

http://www.carid.com/acdelco/gm-orig...FUMTHwodgXcPXw

another found on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-12132154-Original-Equipment-Engine/dp/B00HRJPPGG .

The battery cables go to the motor but there has to be a ground path besides some part of the motor or exhaust or the drive train rubbing a body part.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

I ordered new ground straps . cleaned ones on radiator support and tail lights (while I was installing new rear cove molding ). straightened out right front signal .cleaned battery cables and replaced flashers . Still headlights pop fuse

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 09:15 PM

Garage
Unhook all your lights, headlights ,marker lights, interior lights and taillights. If you have to, pull the bulbs out of the sockets. Turn on your head light switch, start hooking lights up one by one until your fuse blows, and you have found your problem. If the fuse blows right away its in your switch or there's a positive wire going to ground.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

ok . sounds tedious but doable . I will try that tomorrow morning removing all bulbs . I ordered a new dash harness (factory) from American Autowire, and a new signal switch.Spoke to Scott. Big Dave you were a little off on the cost though. $450.00 plus Shipping just for the under dash harness. This Car throwing me way over budget but She has come a long way and is looking beautiful . Just about every piece of interior is brand new except for the front ashtray Benny bent me over for that one lol
Ok .

unlike most I like to report back with the findings for it may help other people with similar issues .

Today started disconnecting light bulbs then decided to relook at my headlight switch, seems the knob wasn't inserted correctly . I removed knob and reinserted it and then the fuses stopped blowing. looked at ground straps underneath black paint all over them so I will clean them up unless the new ones come first . Flashers work differently key on and key off . Dash lights were working the other day but not now . I also need to put colume back together Got to figure it out . Dont know what my friend took apart while I was weatherstripping I will post a picture of how shes looking ( the car not the friend ) lol to see how far the blue mule has come along

Last edited by JimmyNoSho; 10-30-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: report some findings
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM

Sorry prices keep going up even though I am not buying parts any more (retired) so I am quoting prices from fifteen to twenty five years ago when I last bought them. I agree sounds like a defective light switch as the head lamps are a fixed load that the fuse is supposed to be able to handle. You have a short some where in your wiring and since it started blowing the fuse after you installed the switch it is suspect.

Big Dave
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

since Christmas 2015 till now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141228_095257.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	12993   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_091432[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	13001   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_091536[1].jpg
Views:	49
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	13009  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

since Christmas 2015 till now
Sorry I just rotated the photos

There is a brown wire with a connector coming from front wire harness seperate with a rubber grommet all by itself (not Hot) . 2 yellow (hot) under dash I believe one goes to clock other speaker or something . and one more looks like a ground (black) with star round connector (not hot ). Got my new harness today going to try to install tomorrow. Thank you for any help you give
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_091432.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	13017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_091600.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	13025  

Last edited by JimmyNoSho; 11-02-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: wire desifering .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page