Generator light - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Generator light

So before I took my car to be painted 3 weeks ago. my car didn't want to start, felt like the battery wasn't strong enough. I jumped the car and it fired right up. The generator light came on before I jumped it. I found out the the ground was loose. I tightened it back up and the car has been fine since but, that damn generator light is still on. Any suggestions?

Just FYI the battery and alternator are newish, bought them both about a year ago. The alernator is doing its job, so is battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 12:02 PM

That just leaves the voltage control module with it's springs and points and bi-metal strips to cause issues for your car's charging circuit. What the idiot light is telling you by way of a Wheatstone bridge is that your car's battery is discharging at a rate faster than it is charging.

Modern alternators have their voltage regulator internal to the alternator and it is digital instead of a mechanical device because it was made before transistors where anything but a military secret. The mechanical devices work but the points burn and pit from electrical arcing and the springs sag with age. You can replace the voltage regulator with a new one or replace the alternator with a modern AC-Delco CS130 one wire alternator (after you swap on your V-belt pulley for the serpentine pulley that comes with the newer alternator) that is also called a one wire alternator because all you hook up is the one big red wire to the battery from the alternator. Just be sure to use a four gage wire as the alternator will out put a minimum of 130 Amps of power if needed just off idle which is four times the charging capacity of a standard DN alternator (external voltage regulator style) from the sixties.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page