63 Battery Length? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

63 Battery Length?

Anyone know the correct Negative & Positive battery cable lengths for a 63 w/283 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:47 AM

You will need an AC/Delco 4BC30 battery to ground cable, and an AC/Delco 4BC53X battery to solenoid switch cable. You can either cross those part numbers over to buy some Chinese imports at your local corner discounted auto parts store or buy the GM Service Replacement parts at Rock Auto dot com.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=586&jpid=2

If you look at the illustration you see that these are modern 4 ga cables while the factory originals where a 1 ga wire. GM switched over to the smaller cables in the late seventies to cut costs. I can not find any information in my catalogs as to length of the cables but the smaller cable gage is the correct length to fit your car, just not as heavy a gage to carry a lot of current. If you looked for a Big Block cable (in 1964 that would be a 409) instead of the 283 small block it might be a heavier gauge; though I doubt it.

I can not say if GM service parts are even made in the US any more (as most are made in Mexico). But GM sources their cables from Taylor wire since they sold off Packard. Taylor doesn't have premade cables on their web site but they do sell the cable in twenty foot coils you cut to length and terminate to make your own in 0/1 990 strand copper cable (which is heavier than 1 gauge welding cable at 780 strands). If you check your local Interstate battery store or even your local Sears outlet's battery department you can find heavier gauge replacement cables by comparing the length of the 4 gauge replacement cable that they list for your car.

Big Dave</SPAN>
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

By those numbers you gave, it looks like number 4BC30 might be a 30" length and the 4BC53X is a 53". I'm thinking that AC/Delco's numbers are like Gates belts. Just saying. I did find that "Late Great Chevy" calls for a 53" Positive but does not list the negative. At any rate, thanks for those numbers....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page