1967 Impala tail light wiring - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1967 Impala tail light wiring

I need some help with rear tail lights on a 1967 Impala. I installed new bezels and 3 new light sockets, one was already replaced. Wired what I thought was right, and every light works, except if the right directional is on I lose the brake lights on the left side only. If I have the left directional on the brake lights on the right stay on as they should. The only thing I noticed was on the right hand side, the original inner light socket had 3 wires, but 2 went together on one terminal. So on the new light socket I twisted those 2 wires together and joined them to the new light socket. Any advise would be really be very help full.

Last edited by whons; 02-20-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: wording of right and left was wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 06:39 PM

From memory; there should be three separate wires going to the lights. One is the back up light. One is the directional turn signal and the brake light; and the third wire is for the tail lights. None of them should be twisted together.

Big Dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Big Dave, Thanks, but that does not get me any closer to solving my problem. There is a single wire for each back up light and they work fine. All of the tail lights which are for lights,turn signal, and brake lights have 2 wires, except the inner most one on the right had 3,but 2 out of the 3 went to the same terminal of the light socket. I only replaced that one because it fell apart when changing the tail light housings. Every light worked before I just wanted the new bezels. Is it possible that one of the housings is not grounded now? How would I check that out?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I had the right and left worded wrong. When the right directional is on I lose the brake lights on the left.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whons View Post
I had the right and left worded wrong. When the right directional is on I lose the brake lights on the left.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160220_211912.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	14201  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I am going to replace the whole rear wiring harness. because I believe that to be the problem. I'll let you know how it works out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:07 AM

Harness

Recommend American Auto Wire as close to NOS and you'll get, plug and play. Donny who is the Rep is on most of the forums.

Paul

If you need his e-mail let me know.

Paul

Paul

1966 Impala SS

Please Visit our new site:
http://www.winvoices.com/
1959 through 1988* window stickers, car shippers, dealer invoices, retail sales orders and tank stickers, expertly reproduced, for most Chevrolet Models.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
1967 Impala tail lights

Well, I put a whole new rear wiring harness in, and still have the same problem. All lights work, except with the Brakes on and the right turn signal on, the brake lights on the left go out. Every other combination works fine. This is tough for me because I understand mechanical things fine, but strange electrical problems drive me crazy. Could it be something on the steering column with the neutral safety or brake light switch?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 04:57 PM

Yes, it could be in your steering column, maybe the turn signal switch. Call Donny at AAW. He is an expert and B-body enthusiast. And I'm pretty sure he is on this forum.

1967 Chevrolet Impala SS convertible - Ermine White C1
1967 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 - Marina Blue FF
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Can Anyone give me an Email for Donny? Thanks, Wayne.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page