67 Impala no dash or running lights help - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

67 Impala no dash or running lights help

Hey guys so I'm new to this site and Google has been failing me so I thought I would try here so I have a 1967 impala base and I have no dash lights or tail lights but I have headlights and break lights I have already cleaned the fuse box and put new fuses in and have 12v going in and out of my fuse I just replaced my headlamp switch and still no change I'm thinking it might be a ground issue but have no idea to the location of the ground this has been driving me up a wall and any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:46 PM

Welcome to the Team!

There is one more thing to do at the fuse box and that is to separate the two parts. The interior part plugs into the front wiring harness. The front wiring harness is out side of the car cabin behind the drivers side tire and gets lots of water thrown up on it over the years. Between the two cable connections there is ample opportunity to corrode the connections; and over time I am sure they have. Separate them by unscrewing the fasteners and clean it up the bras contacts before reassembling and your problem just may go away.

Big Dave
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mohr View Post
Hey guys so I'm new to this site and Google has been failing me so I thought I would try here so I have a 1967 impala base and I have no dash lights or tail lights but I have headlights and break lights I have already cleaned the fuse box and put new fuses in and have 12v going in and out of my fuse I just replaced my headlamp switch and still no change I'm thinking it might be a ground issue but have no idea to the location of the ground this has been driving me up a wall and any help would be greatly appreciated
Is there 12V coming out of the gray wire on the headlight switch? Is the ribbon wire connected to the harness under the dash and in the trunk? Taillights should be grounded through the taillight housings. So if you have brake lights ...that's good. Like Big Dave said look for corrosion on the brass contacts.
I currently don't have a wire diagram in front of me, so if you can wait a few hours, I'll see what I can find.

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I do have 12v out of the grey wire I'm gonna clean my connectors on the back side of the fuse box the and I'll let you know but I'm not quite sure where the ribbon wires are I can't seem to find neither the one in the trunk or under the dash
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mohr View Post
I do have 12v out of the grey wire I'm gonna clean my connectors on the back side of the fuse box the and I'll let you know but I'm not quite sure where the ribbon wires are I can't seem to find neither the one in the trunk or under the dash
The gray wire should go to the back of the inst. panel and branch off and go to every where else. Does any of the idiot lights in the inst. panel work? If not, the panel may be unplugged. If you haven't replaced your dash lights, they may be burned out. Also, check your INST PANEL fuse. This is the 4th one down from the top.
The ribbon cable is under the carpet or vinyl on the drivers side and runs from just right of the fuse panel, under the seats, to just behind the trunk partition, then it plugs into the tail light harness.

Chris
Warrenton, OR
'68 CJ-5 - Sold
'74 Nova
'10 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page