Brake light - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Brake light

Hello from finland. I have impala 1965 convertible.Broplem is that my left side BRAKE LIGHT doesn't work. When the turn signal is on at right side, and i push the BRAKE bedal, left BRAKE LIGHT work. Where should i start To solve broplem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 12:46 PM

Welcome to the Team Vesku!

You need to check the grounds (measure the resistance with the OHM meter portion of your multimeter). It will tell you more than just a continuity check. Sounds like one or more bulb's is having difficulty getting a good ground path.

Big Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 11:00 AM

Garage
I have had a bunch of grounding issue with my '65. I found taking apart the tail lights and wire brushing the metal bracket where the bulb socket pushes into helps. Also on the bulb socket itself the wire tabs may have to be bent in a little bit. I had the issue where the tabs had lost some of their tension and wasn't allowing the contacts of the bulb to fully reach the contacts in the bottom of the socket.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

I think the bulb choket graundings are ok because the left turn signal works fine. Could the broplem be in the turn signal switch? How can i test it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Because the turn signal and the brakes share the same element in the bulb; if the ground potential of the socket exceeds the resistance of the copper wire and second filament in the other bulb connecting the two bulbs together, the electricity will go through the other bulb and light it up to get to ground if the resistance to ground is too high on the socket where it is being directed. Electricity is like water in that it finds the path of least resistance.

I seriously doubt the problem is with the turn signal as you have initially described the problem.

Big Dave
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 05:17 PM
BA.

Welcome to the site from across the pond. I just wanted to 'add 1' for the cleaning of each socket. They're quite finicky and need a good bit of attention. Go for the most common problems first, and that's it. Then on to next items such as wires, connections, and that silly turn-signal contraption in the end of the steering column.

HOW A NOVICE REBUILDS A 66 IMPALA CONVERTIBLE:
http://www.impalas.net/forums/blog.php?u=1432
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

The problem was inside the turn swich. There are somekind of metal plates/springs. When I push them everything works fine. I cleaned them,but the connection is not good. Sometimes left BRAKE LIGHT works some times it doun't.How can i fix it?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 03:34 PM

If your switch is bad there are a number of sources for a replacement switch. Here is one from Rock Auto dot com:

More Information for OE PRO SM202

You will need to consult your Chevrolet 1965 Full Body Service manual for instructions, though it is also covered in the Fisher Body Service manual for 1965. Another source is a vintage used copy of a 1965 Chilton's Auto Repair book or a Motors Service Repair book for the same year car. These can all be found online.

Big Dave
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 09:43 PM

There should be some NOS switches available if you shop around a little and if you shop a bit, you will find one fairly priced. They are FAR superior to the reproduction switch. As they say, ask me how I know.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page