Generator to Alternator Conversion - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Generator to Alternator Conversion

I'm sure many of you have done a conversion to an alternator. Can you give me some thoughts on the cost effective way to do this. Anyone make a kit including the brackets or reasonable cost for brackets only. Other thought, what years (newer if possible) might fit my small block '62 so I might be able to "junk yard" the bracket. Is it worth going to a one wire alternator?
Thanks! Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:32 PM

Chevy went to an alternator starting in 1962; with most cars having one in 1963. Your 283 SBC motor can use the short water pump brackets off of a 1964 through 1968 SBC. In 1969 the alternator moved from the drivers side to the passenger side and tucked in closer to the block to prevent throwing V-belts. The factory switched from a short to a long water pump in 1969, but it requires a newer head with accessory bolt holes in it (introduced in 1968) to mount a long water pump.

You can use the newest (or next to newest) CS style alternator that is also called a one wire alternator as it is completely self contained and self exciting. They start at 105 Amps at idle and go up in rated capacity from there. You won't have yellow dim head lights with a CS alternator installed as it doesn't have to spin to 5,000 RPM to reach it's rated power out put.

The CS is the same size, and bolts in place of the first alternator used on the SBC (the 10SI). It has a reverse cooling fan so the front has a sold disc next to the V-belt to keep air from the blowing into the outlet side of the cooling vents. Be sure to put that shield back on when you switch from a serpentine belt pulley to a V-belt pulley (requires a gear puller and a small press to install). Or you can buy one refurbished with a V-belt pulley already installed from ProForm and others.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM

Alt bracket

I have a 62 327, headers, PS and factory A/C. The alternator was mounted high on the driver's side. I've been dealing with some belt squealing and in trying to fix that I think I had too much tension on the alternator or had some alignment problems and the bracket that mounts to the header broke. This left me searching for a solution that I thought would be easy - turns out not so much.

I bought the MR Gasket brackets (9852 and 9850) and thought I'd be good to go (I have a CS single wire alternator) but the Alt hung too low to the wheel well and would not articulate upwards so I could get a belt to reach.

I went back to the look at the bracket that was on there and noticed they (prior owners) had fabbed their own version of the 9850 and made some risers that connected to the Alternator - frankly, it was a couple of poorly cut and drilled pieces of steel but somehow it worked.

I got all new locking nuts and bolts, sprayed up the brackets and added them to the 2 Mr Gasket brackets. I had to use a 58" belt to fit properly as I could not get the prior 54" belt on even tho these brackets seem to put the alt in the same location. The 9852 allows you to slide back and forth for proper alignment, but with the 2 chunks of steels being separate, I think it allows the alt to twist a bit.

So, my question - what does this 64 bracket look like? I can't seem to find it online. I was thinking I might have a bracket made that has a round tube spacer that would connect to the 9850 with a 1.5" riser that would connect to the alternator and have it chromed but am curious what a properly mounted Drivers side all looks like.

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

--Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Originalbracket.jpg (49.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Bracket1.jpg (32.6 KB, 39 views)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 02:57 PM

Sorry - I have a SI style alternator - perhaps that's why it won't align properly with the 2 Mr Gasket brackets?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alt 1.jpg (49.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Alt back.jpg (51.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Alt2.jpg (49.2 KB, 48 views)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 05:13 PM

I believe you have a polished 12SI alternator not a CS which has a black plastic fan inside the case that blows toward the front of the car and a black plastic shield tat prevents air from the radiator blowing into the front of the alternator.

Second thing is the alternator with headers requires a generator bracket and a second alternator adapter plate. You have the alternator adapter plate, but I don't see the generator bracket for headers that uses round tube stand offs to mount it in the same position as found if mounting to the stock cast iron manifolds.

Additionally the alternator can be clocked to put the electronic blades at the top of the alternator case for easy access.

A squeaking belt is either glazed and worn or loose, not too tight.

Big Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not following you on the bracket. I have 2 brackets (the 9850 and 9852) and it wouldn't allow me to mount the alternator with the top support bolt in the 12 o'clock position. It would appear that other alternators do fit with these 2 brackets so I'm not sure what my issue was.

On the squeal - it only seems to happen at highway speed (2500-3000 rpm) and it's not always (it starts and stops). I was thinking I could try some belt dressing. It's a new belt.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 08:09 PM

Googleing the adaptor plate, I found Corvette Bracket / Plate Generator Mounting Adaptor Plate With Headers Left Each 56 62 ( #E20418 ) | EC Products which is basically the Mr Gasket 9852 which I have installed.

Then the 9850 which is supposed to bolt directly to the Alternator, but as I stated earlier, wouldn't allow the alternator to align vertically. Or I'm trying to remember exactly - I would but then it wouldn't far enough to allow the top bolt to meet up with the bracket that connects to the water pump. I also ran into one configuration where the alternator was right up against the valve cover.

In any case, I thought those 2 brackets would work but they didn't and I ended up using those spacers that the prior guy used.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 07:59 PM

Hi Big Dave -

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I get frustrated by threads that never seem to solve the problem.

I've done pretty extensive searching and it seems that everyone recommends the Mr Gasket brackets that I found at O'Reilly's or the Summit G4050/G4051 brackets (which are basically the same as the Mr Gasket).

I played around with these brackets some more and removed the 2 homemade spacer brackets and realized if I flipped my bolt/nut that holds the 2 together, I could get the alternator to mount in a position that did not hit the valve cover and wasn't hitting the wheel fender. Only downside is there is very little adjustment left on the arm and I'm concerned once I get 10 miles on this belt I won't be able to tighten it enough. Fingers crossed.

On the HAMB, someone suggested Alan Grove and after check those out that might be a decent bracket and they have one to match if you have AC - I'll probably give those a shot in the future when I get the $$$ for a Vintage Air setup.

Small Block Short Pump

I appreciate your knowledge and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page