Which Radio?? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Which Radio??

I've been looking at updating the radio in my '62. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about any of the available "retro" look radios on the market. Saw some terrible reviews on the Custom Auto Sound 630 series but maybe some of you have had good luck with that one. How about Retro Manufacturing Co.? Any others come to mind??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Garage
I would stay away from the retro look radios. It seems like they took the cheapest chinese made unit and slapped a retro face and high $$$ sticker price on it. I've had one in my Chevelle, first of all the sound quality is poor, it's like playing am radio, after 3 days bluetooth stopped working, couple of weeks later signal to the rear speakers was gone. Their customer service/tech department sucks and have no clue about basic car stereo functions. Since than I bought a cheap sound stream unit that only plays media files (usb, bluetooth, sd card) and I installed it in the glove compartment as a temporary fix. It's been there for almost 3 years now and it works flawless.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input (no pun intended). I may take your advice and do the same. Really not much reason for a tuner anyway with all the various types of memory available all you need to do is plug in your device. Suppose I could add a quality amp in the trunk, some decent speakers and have a nice sounding system.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

I'll leave the AM radio to listen to the ball game!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 10:39 PM

I will second on not getting the retro radios. Of course, it depends on what you want/need out of your car's audio system but in general, those retro radios tend to be mediocre sound and performance quality and reliability. I think they are "ok" but in my opinion they are certainly overpriced.

Most are made in the far east and rather cheaply made. There are some made with quality in the USA but most are not worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page