Wiper Switch? - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Wiper Switch?

Still tracing down the problem with the wipers on our 67 Impala. By running grounds to the outer blades on the motor connection, we were able to get the wipers to turn at both speeds. Next we wanted to validate that our dash was grounded. I followed and tested the ground straps to the firewall. Had continuity. Could not really find the other side of that ground bolt under the dash, but went ahead and tested ground continuity to the dash as well as the switch. They both had continuity.

Am I right to assume I need a new switch? And if so, will any GM 2 speed switch for 1967 work?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 01:12 PM

The switches are interchangeable as only the knobs were changed to meet the "change for changes sake" ideal of the marketing department. BUT the fact that every thing works when the wiper motor is grounded tells me the wiper motor ground is the problem.

You need to measure resistance (OHMs scale) as well as continuity. As a high resistance will prevent a device from working. The wiper motor grounded out through one of the three screws that holds out to the fire wall. There was a small ground strap from the motor that goes under one of the three screws, as the motor is isolated electrically by the rubber mounting bushings.

Big Dave
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
The switches are interchangeable as only the knobs were changed to meet the "change for changes sake" ideal of the marketing department. BUT the fact that every thing works when the wiper motor is grounded tells me the wiper motor ground is the problem.

You need to measure resistance (OHMs scale) as well as continuity. As a high resistance will prevent a device from working. The wiper motor grounded out through one of the three screws that holds out to the fire wall. There was a small ground strap from the motor that goes under one of the three screws, as the motor is isolated electrically by the rubber mounting bushings.

Big Dave

Thanks Dave. And FYI, I was actually reading the Ohms and getting 0.00 or 0.01 if I remember correctly.

And as for the motor, I was running a dedicated ground from the neg post of the battery to the blade on the motor for the harness. That is how I got the motor to work at both speeds.

That is what led me to think that the motor was not getting a ground and this not letting the motor do its thing. And then I ran a test light with one end on the pos post and the other end on the switch and I got a light, so that means my switch is getting a ground from the dash, right (touching the dash also made the test light go on)?

So if the switch is grounded, but the ground is not going to the motor, would that not point me to the switch? I will go check the Ohms at the motor housing to make sure it is grounded well too.

Thanks again Dave. This is the last item to fix before going for the safety inspection. So I am a bit anxious.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Well. It was not the switch. I re-ran all of the wires between the switch and the wiper motor and the one going between the motor and the pump. It functions just fine. It must have been a problem in the harness.

Thanks again Dave for teaching me the workings of the switch. It helped a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page