Wipers won't stop - Impala Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical problems

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steveman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Wipers won't stop

When I got my 67 the wipers only worked on fast and they wouldn't stop at all. I could turn off the key and they would stop, but turning the key on they would continue.

I've replaced the switch in the dash and also replaced the magnet switch in the wiper. I also found a split wire which was affecting the speeds. I also replaced the rubber mounts and the earth tag. This all worked brilliantly and I ended up with two speeds and they parked when I turned them off. Well happy.

Until last night when they wouldn't turn off. If I turn off the key they stop (obviously) and when I turn the key back on they park and stop. But they won't stop using the switch.

As I said the switch is new, so is it possible its another split wire somewhere? Why would it work okay for a month and then stop? I've looked at as many wiper threads as I could find but I haven't found any yet referring to the wipers not stopping. Hopefully someone has fixed a similar problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 AM

How are the wires going through the firewall to the wiper motor? Is the grommet still there? Any chaffing against the metal of the firewall?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Turning the wiper motor off is controlled by the cancel cam and the points in the wiper motor transmission. There is a solenoid that energizes the motor, but the circuit is kept live until the cancel (aka park cam) actually breaks the points that powers the motor. You can have burnt points that are arcing at the cancel cam, or a bad worn out cam that is not breaking the points, or you may have burnt points in the solenoid that energizes the motor when you turn on the key. A replacement wiper motor should replace all of these parts.

Big Dave

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm pretty sure the grommet is okay and the wires are bundled up correctly, but I'll double check.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Big Dave. I'll check the points. I already replaced the switch and everything worked fine on the bench and on the car. It's odd that turning off the key and turning it back on allows the wipers to still park correctly, so everything functions ok, just not when the wipers are turned off using the actual switch. I'm reluctant to order another whole wiper motor from the States when it seems to work ok apart from stopping. I'll take it apart at the weekend again and see if I can see what's happening.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Well, I checked it out and turns out my connector on the top pin was a bit loose. When I wiggled it the wipers parked correctly. I cut and refitted the connector and everything's all good.

Interesting aside - when I first fitted the new park switch it had an extra pin that I wasn't sure what to do with. I left it in place and wired everything up and it all worked well. First time I went to go for a drive and closed the hood the wipers came on. Lifted the hood and the wipers stopped. Took a look and found that the end of the hood spring was touching the extra pin when the hood was closed, forming a new earth. I cut the extra pin off and taped the end of the spring. I've got aftermarket hood hinges but the original springs, so they end up pretty close to the wiper motor.

So wipers all fixed again now.
gr8dain likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Impala Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page